Deriving Y-Component of Uniform Electric Rod | E=-▽V

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and the steps taken to solve it. The problem involves finding the y component of the electric field at point P, and the solution involves taking the derivative of the formula E = -▽V with respect to the vertical component "a". The output of the solution is given as Κλl/(a sqrt(l^2+a^2)), which seems to be correct. The conversation ends with a comment about the use of mathjax characters.
Quintessential
This is essentially the problem.

NDL0hSh.png

And this is what I did.

Realizing the following:

E = -▽V

I simply took the derivative in regards to the vertical component, in this case "a".

So:

-dV/da [the above formulae]

And I got the following:

Κλl/(a sqrt(l^2+a^2))

Does that seem about right?

**Sorry, I have no idea on how to operate the sexy mathjax characters.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Quintessential said:
This is essentially the problem.

NDL0hSh.png

And this is what I did.

Realizing the following:

E = -▽V

I simply took the derivative in regards to the vertical component, in this case "a".

So:

-dV/da [the above formulae]

And I got the following:

Κλl/(a sqrt(l^2+a^2))

Does that seem about right?

**Sorry, I have no idea on how to operate the sexy mathjax characters.

Welcome to MHB, Quintessential! :)

Yep. That seems about right, although your constant looks a bit weird.

Anyway, since they are asking for the y component of the electric field at point P, I would write:

$$E_y = \frac{k_\ell Q}{y \sqrt{\ell^2 + y^2}}$$

(If you click Reply With Quote, you can see what the mathjax looks like. ;))

1. What is the purpose of deriving the Y-component of a uniform electric rod?

The purpose of deriving the Y-component of a uniform electric rod is to understand the behavior of the electric field in the Y-direction. This can help in determining the force experienced by a charged particle placed at different points along the rod in the Y-direction.

2. How is the Y-component of the electric field calculated?

The Y-component of the electric field can be calculated by taking the partial derivative of the electric potential (V) with respect to the Y-direction. This can be represented as Ey = - ∂V/∂y.

3. What is the significance of a uniform electric rod in this derivation?

A uniform electric rod is used in this derivation because it simplifies the calculations and makes the electric field constant along the rod in the X-direction. This allows for a more straightforward derivation and understanding of the behavior of the electric field in the Y-direction.

4. What does the minus sign in the equation represent?

The minus sign in the equation represents the direction of the electric field in the Y-direction. It indicates that the electric field points in the opposite direction of the potential gradient, from high potential to low potential.

5. How can deriving the Y-component of a uniform electric rod be applied in real-world situations?

Deriving the Y-component of a uniform electric rod can be applied in various real-world situations, such as understanding the behavior of electric fields in parallel plate capacitors or determining the force on a charged particle in a uniform electric field. It can also be used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and devices.