Equation connecting potential and potential energy of a distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses two equations that relate to the potential energy of a continuous distribution of electric charge. The second equation is derived from the first by using a trick involving the del operator and Gauss' theorem. The identity for this trick is known as the product rule for multiplication by a scalar and can be found in the vector calculus identities.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
The equation below allows us to calculate the potential energy of a continuous distribution of electric charge.
$$U=\frac {\epsilon_0} 2 \iiint\limits_\text{Entire electric field}\vec E^2\,dV$$
In my textbook, the author states
$$U=\frac 1 {8\pi\epsilon_0}\iiint\limits_\text{Entire electric field}\rho\phi\, dV$$
which relates the potential energy of the distribution to its electric potential. I wonder how it is derived from the first equation.

Edit: It looks like the equation is actually a special case of the following formula for a discrete configuration of charges:
$$U=\frac 1{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac 1 2\sum_{j=1}^Nq_j\sum_{k\neq j}\frac{q_k}{r_{jk}}$$

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to write ##\displaystyle{\int} E^2 dV = - \displaystyle{\int} \mathbf{E} \cdot \nabla \phi dV = -\displaystyle{\int}\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{E} \phi) dV + \displaystyle{\int} \phi \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} dV##, where the integral is taken over all space. The first term vanishes by Gauss' theorem since ##\mathbf{E}## is zero at infinity.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Steve4Physics, Leo Liu and Delta2
ergospherical said:
The trick is to write ##\displaystyle{\int} E^2 dV = - \displaystyle{\int} \mathbf{E} \cdot \nabla \phi dV = -\displaystyle{\int}\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{E} \phi) dV + \displaystyle{\int} \phi \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} dV##, where the integral is taken over all space. The first term vanishes by Gauss' theorem since ##\mathbf{E}## is zero at infinity.
Can you tell me what the indentity $$\vec E\cdot\nabla\phi=\nabla\cdot(\vec E\phi)+\phi\nabla\cdot\vec E$$ is called? I am not very familiar with the del operator. Ty!

In suffix notation (with the ##x_i## Cartesian coordinates),\begin{align*}
\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{E} \phi) = \sum_i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left( E_i \phi \right) &= \sum_i \phi \dfrac{\partial E_i}{\partial x_i} + \sum_i E_i \dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial x_i} \\

&= \phi \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} + \mathbf{E} \cdot \nabla \phi
\end{align*}

• Wow
Likes Delta2 and Leo Liu
Likes Leo Liu and Delta2

1. What is the equation connecting potential and potential energy of a distribution?

The equation connecting potential and potential energy of a distribution is known as the Poisson equation. It states that the potential energy of a distribution is equal to the negative of the potential multiplied by the charge density.

2. How is the Poisson equation derived?

The Poisson equation is derived from the Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By integrating this force over the entire distribution of charges, the equation for potential energy can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the Poisson equation in physics?

The Poisson equation is a fundamental equation in electrostatics and is used to describe the behavior of electric fields and potential in various systems. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as fluid mechanics and quantum mechanics, to describe the behavior of potential energy in those systems.

4. Can the Poisson equation be applied to non-uniform distributions of charge?

Yes, the Poisson equation can be applied to non-uniform distributions of charge. In these cases, the charge density term in the equation becomes a function of position, and the equation can still be used to determine the potential energy of the distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to the Poisson equation?

Yes, the Poisson equation has some limitations. It assumes that the charges are stationary and that the electric field is conservative, meaning that the work done by the electric field is independent of the path taken. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics, which are necessary for describing the behavior of particles at very high speeds or on a very small scale.