Derren Brown's "Tremor of Intent" Guessing Game - How is it Done?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, Derren Brown plays a guessing game with a group of people on the streets of Edinborough where he accurately guesses their intended movements without them ever actually moving. He claims that this is a skill anyone can learn in less than a minute, but does not reveal the technique. Some suggest it may be a matter of picking up on subconscious cues, while others point out that Derren Brown is a master at deception. This method is similar to the one used by the horse that could count, where the horse was actually responding to subtle cues from the questioner. Derren Brown's tricks may rely on finding gullible subjects, but there is likely some psychological principle at work.
zoobyshoe
That title is the name of an obscure novel by Anthony Burgess but it seems to fit what is going on in this Derren Brown video.

If you jump forward to about 1:20 you come to a segment where he plays a guessing game with a group of people on the streets of Edinborough. He asks the subject to think about doing a movement but without ever moving. Then he accurately guesses what the movement is.

Apparently, this is something anyone can do, it's not the result of some special skill he's honed over years, because he teaches the whole group to be able to do it in less than a minute.

He doesn't let us hear what the technique is, but there are hints that it's a matter of going with your gut reaction to whatever little tremor of intent you notice. The only alternative I can imagine is that he is always planting the suggestion of the movement, but I don't see when and where he would be doing that.

He does this same routine with different crowds in two other videos and I find it intriguing to think that if we just pay attention in the right way we can pick up on things that are going through other people's minds better than we think we can. On the other hand, that might not be what's going on here at all.

How do you think this is done?

For more perspective, he does a similar trick in this segment: (scroll forward to 1:20)

[Youtube]rE99Ggn0HG0[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flatmaster said:
This reminds me of the horse that could count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans

Using a substantial number of trials, Pfungst found that the horse could get the correct answer even if von Osten himself did not ask the questions, ruling out the possibility of fraud. However, the horse got the right answer only when the questioner knew what the answer was, and the horse could see the questioner. He observed that when von Osten knew the answers to the questions, Hans got 89 percent of the answers correct, but when von Osten did not know the answers to the questions, Hans only answered six percent of the questions correctly.

Pfungst then proceeded to examine the behaviour of the questioner in detail, and showed that as the horse's taps approached the right answer, the questioner's posture and facial expression changed in ways that were consistent with an increase in tension, which was released when the horse made the final, correct tap. This provided a cue that the horse could use to tell it to stop tapping.

It's remarkable to me that a horse could read human body language, even that of total strangers, so well.

Regardless, Derren Brown is tricky and often implies he's doing a trick one way when he's actually doing it another. He might be reading their intent, but he's also a master at feeding ideas to people just below their awareness of it.

Also, don't forget that these are recordings - how many did they shoot where he got it completely wrong?
Are you only seeing the ones the ones they want you to see?
Remember - magicians and illusionists employ deception!

Also, don't forget that these are recordings - how many did they shoot where he got it completely wrong?

Last_Exile said:
Derren Brown's tricks sometimes rely on finding a properly gullible person on the street. He would be the first to admit he discards footage where the subject turns out to be more savvy than he thought. This trick here, though, is obviously not dependent on something that crude. There's some sort of psychological principle behind it, something like this, I suspect:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Other/Puzzles_Riddles/Q_20546296.html

And that is exactly what he wants you to believe.

Last_Exile said:
And that is exactly what he wants you to believe.
Hehe. I doubt he kept filming group after group till 3/4 of the group all hit on the same movement.

OK,

I admit there may well be a valid psychological "method" involved but the point I'm trying to make is that the likes of Derren Brown and other self-proclaimed mentalists are hardly the best examples since you cannot completely rule out deception.

OK,

I admit there may well be a valid psychological "method" involved but the point I'm trying to make is that the likes of Derren Brown and other self-proclaimed mentalists are hardly the best examples since you cannot completely rule out deception.

People often twitch slightly when preparing to move. He's probably just noticing the slight twitches.

Same-same said:
People often twitch slightly when preparing to move. He's probably just noticing the slight twitches.
What's the difference between the twitch before putting your hands on your head and before doing the chicken dance?

1. How does Derren Brown's "Tremor of Intent" guessing game work?

The exact method used by Derren Brown in this game is not publicly known. However, it is believed that he uses a combination of psychological manipulation and sleight of hand techniques to make his guesses appear accurate.

2. Is it possible to replicate the "Tremor of Intent" guessing game?

It is unlikely that the game can be replicated exactly as Derren Brown does it, as he has years of experience and training in the field of mentalism. However, with practice and study, it is possible to learn some of the techniques used in the game.

3. Are the participants in the game staged or actors?

No, the participants in the game are not staged or actors. They are selected from the audience and are not aware of what the game will entail beforehand. This adds to the authenticity and impact of the game.

4. Can anyone learn how to play the "Tremor of Intent" guessing game?

While some techniques used in the game can be learned, it takes years of practice and experience to perform it as accurately and effectively as Derren Brown does. It also requires a great deal of mental dexterity and understanding of human psychology.

5. Does Derren Brown use any special equipment or tools in the "Tremor of Intent" guessing game?

No, Derren Brown does not use any special equipment or tools in the game. He relies solely on his mental abilities and techniques to make his guesses. This adds to the intrigue and mystery of the game.