Describe all homomorphisms from \mathbb{Z},+ to \mathbb{Z},+

In summary, the author found a family of homomorphisms from \mathbb{Z},+ to itself, and every homomorphism is injective. Furthermore, the only isomorphism is the one that f(x) = x.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Find all homomorphisms [itex]f: \mathbb{Z},+ \rightarrow \mathbb{Z},+[/itex]. Determine which are injective, which are surjective, and which are isomorphisms.

Note. I must prove everything.

Homework Equations

Notation. [itex]\mathbb{Z}n = \{ p : p = kn, \, \, \, \mathrm{k} \in \mathbb{Z} \}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I have found all homomorphisms from [itex]\mathbb{Z},+[/itex] to itself, but thus far I found a family of homomorphisms from [itex]\mathbb{Z},+[/itex] to itself.

Define [itex]f: \mathbb{Z},+ \rightarrow \mathbb{Z},+[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) = nx[/itex], where [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. This is the homomorphism from [itex]\mathbb{Z},+[/itex] to it's subgroup [itex]\mathbb{Z}n[/itex].

Proof that f is a homomorphism. Let both [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Then [itex]f(x+y) = n(x+y) = nx + ny = f(x) + f(y)[/itex]. Done.

I've determined that every homomorphism of form [itex]f[/itex], as defined above, is injective. I'll claim that [itex]\mathrm{ker}(f) = \{ 0 \}[/itex]. To check this, I'll suppose that there exists another element, say [itex]k[/itex], such that [itex]f(k) = 0[/itex]. Using the definition of [itex]f[/itex], it follows that [itex]nk = 0[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex] k = 0[/itex]. Thus [itex]\mathrm{ker}(f) = \{ 0 \}[/itex].

I've also determined that the only [itex]f[/itex] that is surjective is [itex]f(x) = x[/itex]. To prove this, I'll suppose that there exists another such [itex]f[/itex] that is surjective, say [itex]f(x) = kx[/itex], with [itex]k \neq 1[/itex]. Note that [itex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Set [itex]f(x) = k+1[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]kx = k+1[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]x = 1 + \frac{1}{k}[/itex] which is never an integer if [itex]k \neq 1[/itex], a contradiction since [itex]x \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

Thus from the information above, it follows that the only isomorphism is the homomorphism [itex]f[/itex] as defined above, such that [itex]f(x) = x[/itex].

My question is have I done my work correctly and are there any other homomorphisms from [itex]\mathbb{Z},+[/itex] to itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there are no other homomorphisms, but you seem to be making it more complicated than it needs to be. If you know what f(1) is, and you assume f is a homomorphism, then it's pretty easy to say what f(n) is for any n, right?

Well if I know there f(1) goes, then f(n) would go to nf(1). Thanks for the clarification!

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a given mathematical object. In other words, it maps elements from one mathematical object to another in a way that maintains the operations and relationships between those elements.

2. What types of mathematical objects can have homomorphisms?

Homomorphisms can exist between a variety of mathematical objects, including groups, rings, vector spaces, and more. Essentially, any mathematical object that has a defined set of operations and relationships between elements can have homomorphisms.

3. How do you describe all homomorphisms between two objects?

To describe all homomorphisms between two objects, you must define the mapping between the elements of the two objects and show how this mapping preserves the operations and relationships between those elements. This can be done using equations, diagrams, or other mathematical representations.

4. What is the difference between a monomorphism, epimorphism, and isomorphism?

A monomorphism is a homomorphism that is injective, meaning that each element in the domain maps to a distinct element in the codomain. An epimorphism is a homomorphism that is surjective, meaning that every element in the codomain is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. An isomorphism is a homomorphism that is both injective and surjective, meaning it is a one-to-one and onto mapping between the two objects.

5. How are homomorphisms useful in mathematics?

Homomorphisms are useful in mathematics because they allow us to study the structure and properties of one object by looking at its relationship to another object. They also provide a way to simplify complex expressions and proofs by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.