Describing a position vector with polar coordinates.

In summary, polar coordinates involve two quantities, 'r' and 'Theta', just like 'x' and 'y' in Cartesian coordinates. The position vector in polar coordinates is represented as ##\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}##, with the unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## being functions of the coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##. This means that the vector <2, 4> would be written as ##\vec{r} = \sqrt{20} \hat{r}_{\tan^{-1} (2/4)}##.
Mr Davis 97
I have read that in polar coordinates, we can form the position vector, velocity, and acceleration, just as with Cartesian coordinates. The position vector in Cartesian coordinates is ##\vec{r} = r_x \hat{i} + r_y \hat{j}##. And any choice of ##r_x## and ##r_y## maps the vector to a position in the plane. How is this done with polar coordinates? Online I have read that the position vector in polar coordinates is ##\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}##, but I don't see how this can map to any point in the plane. Don't we need an angular description as well? I don't see that in this equation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For position vector, you can always represent a position vector as a sum between a radial vector and angular vector. But the resultant vector turns out to be another radial vector, therefore it's superfluous to use the representation which contains the angular component.

Last edited:
Polar co-ordinates for a plane involve two quantities, 'r' and 'Theta' just like 'x'and 'y' in Cartesian system . If you only specify 'r' then you are not giving the complete picture. It is like mentioning only the 'x' or 'y' in Cartesian co-ordinates.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Online I have read that the position vector in polar coordinates is ⃗r=|r|^rr→=|r|r^\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}, but I don't see how this can map to any point in the plane.
The thing that you have to keep in mind is that in polar coordinates the basis vectors ##\hat r## and ##\hat{\theta}## are functions of the coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##. So ##\vec{r} = |r|\hat{r}## should probably be written ##\vec{r} = |r|\hat{r}_{(r,\theta)}## for clarity.

Likes GR191511 and Molar
Dale said:
The thing that you have to keep in mind is that in polar coordinates the basis vectors ##\hat r## and ##\hat{\theta}## are functions of the coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##. So ##\vec{r} = |r|\hat{r}## should probably be written ##\vec{r} = |r|\hat{r}_{(r,\theta)}## for clarity.
Excellent answer. The only thing I would add would be that, in polar coordinates, the two unit vectors are functions only of ##\theta## (and not r).

Likes Dale and Molar
Chestermiller said:
Excellent answer. The only thing I would add would be that, in polar coordinates, the two unit vectors are functions only of ##\theta## (and not r).
Oops, you are completely correct.

So using the notation ##\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}_{(\theta)}## how would I write out the vector (for example) ##\vec{r} = 2\hat{i} + 4 \hat{j}?##

Mr Davis 97 said:
So using the notation ##\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}_{(\theta)}## how would I write out the vector (for example) ##\vec{r} = 2\hat{i} + 4 \hat{j}?##
What's the angle that the vector <2, 4> makes, and what is its magnitude?

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of describing positions using two numbers: a distance from a fixed point (the origin) and an angle from a fixed direction (usually the positive x-axis).

2. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use distance and angle to describe positions, while Cartesian coordinates use horizontal and vertical distances from the origin.

3. How do you convert a position vector from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a position vector from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, use the formulas r = √(x^2 + y^2) for the distance and θ = arctan(y/x) for the angle.

4. Can a position vector have negative values in polar coordinates?

Yes, a position vector can have negative values in polar coordinates. The distance can be negative if the position is in the opposite direction from the origin, and the angle can be negative if the position is in the opposite direction from the fixed direction.

5. How do you graph a position vector using polar coordinates?

To graph a position vector using polar coordinates, plot the distance from the origin on the radial axis and then rotate the appropriate angle from the fixed direction to determine the position on the graph.