Describing consciousness mathematically

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of mathematically describing consciousness and the idea that when something becomes known, it goes from unknown to known and there is a knower. The question is posed whether this could be made rigorous to give a definition of awareness, but it is determined that this is a philosophical topic that cannot be approached scientifically without a precise definition of the framework. Therefore, the conversation is closed.
Chenkel
I was discussing consciousness with my brother, and I was wondering if you can mathematically describe it; when something becomes known it goes from the state of unknown to known, there is a knower; when the knower knows he knows, is that not awareness? There seems to be a language in math for describing knowns and unknowns, could we make this rigorous to give a definition of awareness?

Likes olgerm
Physics news on Phys.org
Chenkel said:
I was discussing consciousness with my brother, and I was wondering if you can mathematically describe it; when something becomes known it goes from the state of unknown to known, there is a knower; when the knower knows he knows, is that not awareness? There seems to be a language in math for describing knowns and unknowns, could we make this rigorous to give a definition of awareness?
This is far too vague to find an answer. It is pure philosophy if you don't pose additional conditions and constraints. And philosophy, I'm afraid is a topic we do not discuss on PF. It simply leads nowhere. And this is also true for your question. It won't lead anywhere.

You can approach this topic via systems, neuronal networks, or formal languages, besides philosophy. But then, you will need a precise definition of the framework. As long as consciousness or knowledge is used in the common language they come from, as long there will be no way to approach them scientifically.

This thread is closed.
Reason: philosophy.

Likes berkeman, Bystander and BillTre

1. What is the definition of consciousness?

Consciousness is the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, sensations, and surroundings.

2. Can consciousness be measured?

Yes, consciousness can be measured through various methods such as brain imaging techniques, behavioral assessments, and self-reporting measures.

3. How can mathematics be used to describe consciousness?

Mathematics can be used to describe consciousness by quantifying and analyzing the neural processes and patterns associated with different states of consciousness.

4. What are some theories that attempt to describe consciousness mathematically?

Some theories include the Integrated Information Theory, the Global Workspace Theory, and the Dynamic Core Hypothesis.

5. Can a mathematical model fully explain consciousness?

There is currently no consensus on whether a mathematical model can fully explain consciousness. While some scientists believe that it may be possible in the future, others argue that consciousness is a complex phenomenon that cannot be fully captured by mathematical equations.