Describing lasers, their use, and link to science

In summary: Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I will definitely take them into consideration and do more research to improve my understanding and writing.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Choose a technology such as MP3 players, lasers, medical imaging, or another that interests you. Research the internet and find out how it is related to the physics of light and waves. In approximately 100 to 150 words, write a paragraph explaining the link between our understanding of the laws of physics and your chosen technology. Evaluate how this technology has affected our daily lives. Be sure to briefly describe the technology, its use, and its link to science.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

A laser is a different type of light that is different from a normal such as a flash light; it produces a very narrow beam of light. Laser stands for light amplification by simulated emission of radiation. Lasers have very similar wavelengths; they all travel in phase regardless of colours. Lasers have many uses such as being used in precision tools, cutting diamonds or thick metals. Lasers are a breakthrough in physics without them we wouldn’t be able to carry signals in a TV or internet. The wavelengths they create allow us to send signals from one technology to another in the form of wavelengths. Since they are in phase it causes constructive interference when the wavelengths of lasers interact with one another the waves they emit to connect with one another, carrying internet, TV and other signals leading the signals to communicate with each other.

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/laser/en/

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question ? Usually grading is left to teacher...
Or do you want some comments ? If so, about which part in particular ?

BvU said:
Is there a question ? Usually grading is left to teacher...
Or do you want some comments ? If so, about which part in particular ?
Oh, I just want some comments to see what you guys think, because of my lack of knowledge on the subject I tend to use bad wording which potentially ruins what I'm trying to get across. I'm basically looking for possible areas of improvement and/or mistakes, through the opinion of a more knowledgeable audience.

Likes BvU
Physics345 said:
1. Homework Statement
Choose a technology such as MP3 players, lasers, medical imaging, or another that interests you. Research the internet and find out how it is related to the physics of light and waves. In approximately 100 to 150 words,

write a paragraph explaining the link between our understanding of the laws of physics and your chosen technology.

Evaluate how this technology has affected our daily lives.

Be sure to briefly describe the technology, its use, and its link to science.
I grant you that that is asking rather a lot for such a short paper. Do you find these things back in your text ?

My comments in blue:
A laser is a different type of light that is different from a normal such as a flash light; it produces a very narrow beam of light.
The laser is the device, not the light

Lasers have very similar wavelengths; they all travel in phase regardless of colours.
the original is a(slightly) better:
'Lasers produce a narrow beam of light in which all of the light waves have very similar wavelengths. The laser’s light waves travel together with their peaks all lined up, or in phase.'
my point is that different colours can never be in phase (see the NASA picture just above the quote)

Lasers are a breakthrough in physics without them we wouldn’t be able to carry signals in a TV or internet.
simply not true.
The wavelengths they create allow us to send signals from one technology to another in the form of wavelengths. Since they are in phase it causes constructive interference when the wavelengths of lasers interact with one another the waves they emit to connect with one another, carrying internet, TV and other signals leading the signals to communicate with each other.
did you make this up ?

decent of you to mention your source. If I were you I'd research a few more sites and in your paper use only the parts you really understand. Nevertheless: hats off for your work and the courage to solicit comments!

Likes Physics345
BvU said:
I grant you that that is asking rather a lot for such a short paper. Do you find these things back in your text ?

My comments in blue:
The laser is the device, not the light

the original is a(slightly) better:
'Lasers produce a narrow beam of light in which all of the light waves have very similar wavelengths. The laser’s light waves travel together with their peaks all lined up, or in phase.'
my point is that different colours can never be in phase (see the NASA picture just above the quote)

simply not true.
did you make this up ?

decent of you to mention your source. If I were you I'd research a few more sites and in your paper use only the parts you really understand. Nevertheless: hats off for your work and the courage to solicit comments!
I honestly thought the same thing, It's literally asking me to explain something that should not be explained in 150 words, making it extremely hard to explain in such a short paragraph, without excluding a lot of important details I noticed during my research. I am going to mention this to my teacher.
Regarding your comments:

"the laser is the device, not the light"
sorry that is the bad wording I'm trying to work on currently.

"did you make this up ?"
I am currently working on a radio transmitting presentation right now, after reading that again, I now realize I was confusing radio waves with light waves. To answer your question, technically yes I did.

"decent of you to mention your source. If I were you I'd research a few more sites and in your paper use only the parts you really understand. Nevertheless: hats off for your work and the courage to solicit comments!"

Thank you for the complement, I'm here to learn from the people on this website, considering you all have much more knowledge on the subject. Hopefully one day, I will be able to say that I have a good understanding of physics, but at this point in time I am just trying to grasp the basics, which I believe will lead to the betterment of myself and the expansion of my train of thought and understanding in the near future. I am going to do more research and adjust my paragraph according to your comments, I will be back shortly with a reply and an update for a few other threads as well.

Here is my updated answer:

A laser is a device that emits a different type of light that is different from the light emitted from a normal light such as a flash light; it produces a very narrow beam of light. Laser stands for light amplification by simulated emission of radiation. The wavelength of the light produced by a laser does not occur in nature, the wavelength it produces is in phase. Lasers have many uses such as being used in precision tools, cutting diamonds or thick metals. Lasers are used in a technology called photonics, which is using photons of light to communicate, for example transmitting data back and forth through the internet. Without lasers we would not be able to, transmit data through the internet, at such high speeds. Also the military makes good use of lasers as well to guide missiles in a trajectory to ensure it reaches its target, which would not be possible without the use of lasers since they can measure distances with extreme precision.

Did you end up taking a look at my new answer?

1. What is a laser?

A laser is a device that emits a narrow, intense beam of coherent light through a process called stimulated emission. This beam of light can be used for a variety of purposes, including scientific research, medical procedures, and industrial applications.

2. How do lasers work?

Lasers work by exciting atoms or molecules in a medium, such as a gas, liquid, or solid, to a higher energy state. When these excited particles release energy, they emit photons, which are particles of light. The photons are then reflected between two mirrors in the laser cavity, causing them to become aligned and produce a coherent beam of light.

3. What are some common uses of lasers in science?

Lasers have a wide range of uses in scientific research, including spectroscopy, microscopy, and laser surgery. They are also used in industrial applications such as cutting, welding, and drilling, as well as in communication technologies like fiber optics.

4. How are lasers linked to other areas of science?

Lasers have connections to many different areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. For example, lasers are used in physics research to study the properties of light and matter, in chemistry to analyze the composition of materials, and in biology for imaging and manipulating cells and tissues.

5. What are the potential future developments in laser technology?

Scientists are constantly working on improving laser technology and exploring new applications. Some potential future developments include more powerful and efficient lasers, advances in laser cooling and trapping of atoms, and the use of lasers in quantum computing and communication.