Predicting Changes in Interference Patterns using Laser Interference Equations

In summary, the Homework statement discusses how two different methods of interference can be created by altering the wavelength of a laser. The first way is to increase the wavelength, while the second way is to decrease the wavelength.
fatcats

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are conducting an activity with a laser to create an interference pattern. Use the appropriate equations to predict two ways (other than the way described in the following example) to change the interference pattern in order to have closer fringes. Explain your predictions.
Their example : Δx = Lλ/d
the distance between the fringes (Δx) is proportional to the wavelength (since they are both numerators). This means that increasing one will increase the other. Therefore, decreasing the wavelength will decrease the distance between the fringes. (Hint: You can use the "Thomas Young's Double-slit Experiment" simulation to verify predictions).

Homework Equations

Δx = Lλ/d
(n-1/2)λ=dx/L
(n-1/2)λ=d sintheta n

The Attempt at a Solution

x = mLλ/d
x is directly proportional to the distance from the slits to the screen. Increasing distance between the slits and the projection area will make the bands closer.

Where I am struggling is a second way to show how to alter d, without using their example. This is what I tried:

(n-1/2λ)=d sintheta n
Please see my attached work document for my work, it is very legible.
Basically I rearranged (n-1/2)λ=dx/L for D, and substituted for d (n-1/2)λ=d sintheta n, then rearranged for x. I got:

L(sintheta) = x
How does that make sense? If the angle is 90 then the distance of the fringes will be equal to the distance from the screen to the fringes? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 6.57.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 6.57.01 PM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Updating my second equation because I realized it was out of order and didn't make sense anyway
I still got the same answer though.

(n-1/2λ)=d sintheta n
Basically I rearranged (n-1/2)λ=dx/L for D, and substituted for d (n-1/2)λ=d sintheta n, then rearranged for x. I got:
L(sintheta) = x

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.11.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.11.58 PM.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 479
Perhaps you can consider distance between both slits as a variable; I think equation 3 is the one describing that relationship. the "d" in equation 3 is not distance to screen, but rather distance between both slits if I am interpreting this correctly.

oh my goodness I am insane and I have no idea how I missed the solution right in front of my nose. thank you for your reply. I had compared d already.

so I had the right answer earlier and for some reason late at night chose to delete it and redo it... I deleted my statement about the L variable, the distance from the slits to the screen! sorry for posting this and thanks for your time.

1. What are laser interference equations?

Laser interference equations are mathematical formulas that describe the behavior of laser light when it interacts with itself or with other forms of light. They are used to predict and analyze the interference patterns created by overlapping laser beams.

2. How are laser interference equations used?

Laser interference equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and optics. They are used to design and optimize laser systems, as well as to study the properties of light and the principles of interference.

3. What are the key components of a laser interference equation?

The key components of a laser interference equation include the wavelength of the laser light, the angle of incidence and reflection, and the distance between the interfering beams. These factors determine the resulting interference pattern.

4. Can laser interference equations be applied to other types of light besides laser light?

Yes, laser interference equations can also be applied to other types of coherent light, such as light from a maser or a synchrotron. However, they may not accurately predict the interference patterns for incoherent light sources.

5. How accurate are laser interference equations?

Laser interference equations are highly accurate when applied to ideal conditions. However, factors such as imperfections in the laser beams or the medium through which they pass can affect the results. In these cases, more complex equations or experimental data may be needed for accurate predictions.