Design a combination of Capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses two valid approaches to consider when dealing with failure of components in a series or parallel array of capacitors. The textbook answer may be preferred in some cases, but it ultimately depends on the prevalence of failure type. The possibility of cascading failure is also a concern. A quick search suggests that ceramic capacitors tend to fail closed, resulting in a short circuit.
Shreya
Homework Statement
It is required to construct a 10mF capacitor which can be connected to a 200V Battery. Capacitors of Capacitance 10mF are available but they can withstand only 50V. Design a combination which can yield the desired result.
Relevant Equations
C=Q/V
My attempt was this:
IMG_20211016_153820.jpg

The textbook answer was:
Screenshot_20211016-153914_SelfStudys.png

Is my approach wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shreya said:
Is my approach wrong?
Both approaches are valid.

If one wanted to choose between those two approaches (or other possible approaches), then it would be interesting to consider the effect of a failure (fail open or fail closed) of one of the components.

• Informative
Likes Shreya
jbriggs444 said:
interesting to consider the effect of a failure (fail open or fail closed) of one of the components.
On failure of components, the textbook answer would be preferred,right?

Shreya said:
On failure of components, the textbook answer would be preferred,right?
Not necessarily. It depends on what failure type is most prevalent.

A series array of capacitors in parallel will not change its capacitance much if one element fails open.
A parallel array of capacitors in series will not change its capacitance much if one element fails closed.

But then one should also be concerned with the possibility of cascading failure. I do not build such things for a living, so I cannot offer an opinion on which approach is "best" in real life.

Edit: a quick trip to Google says that ceramic capacitors tend to fail closed (short circuit) on overload.

Cascading failure yields a short circuit either way.

Last edited:
Likes Shreya

1. How do I determine the capacitance of a combination of capacitors?

The total capacitance of a combination of capacitors can be calculated by adding the individual capacitance values using the formula C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values.

2. What is the formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series?

The formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series is 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ..., where C is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values.

3. How do I determine the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel can be calculated by simply adding the individual capacitance values using the formula C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values.

4. Can I combine capacitors with different capacitance values?

Yes, capacitors with different capacitance values can be combined in series or parallel to create a combination with a desired equivalent capacitance. However, it is important to note that the resulting capacitance may not be an exact value and may need to be rounded to the nearest available capacitance value.

5. How do I determine the maximum voltage that can be applied to a combination of capacitors?

The maximum voltage that can be applied to a combination of capacitors can be determined by finding the capacitor with the lowest voltage rating in the combination. This will be the maximum voltage that can be safely applied to the entire combination.