2-Resistor, 2-Capacitor Circuit with Switch

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem with two capacitors, where the first part has been completed correctly. However, there is uncertainty about how to approach the second part, where the switch is closed and the two capacitors have different charges. The textbook solution states that Q1 is 2 microC and Q2 is 16 microC. Additional help is requested and the conversation ends with the problem being solved successfully.
Mark Zhu
Homework Statement
In the circuit below, find the charges on the capacitors a) if the switch is open, b) if the switch is closed. Here C1 = 1 microfarads, C2 = 4 microfarads, R1 = 20 ohms and R2 = 40 ohms.
Relevant Equations
V = iR
Q = CV
I already did part a and got the correct answer of 4.8 microC. However, I am unsure how to approach part b, where the switch is closed and apparently the two capacitors end up with different charges. For part b, since there is a path between the two capacitors, I don't know if I am able to combine the two capacitors into an equivalent capacitor. According to the textbook, the solution is that Q1 is 2 microC and Q2 is 16 microC. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_20190612_164654.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Well, what do you get for the voltage over C1 if you apply your first relevant equation ?

(after you determined -- qualitatively -- what happens with the current through the switch when it is closed and afterwards :smile:)

I think I got it, thank you.

With the answers given it's a piece of cake :smile:

1. What is a 2-resistor, 2-capacitor circuit with switch?

A 2-resistor, 2-capacitor circuit with switch is an electrical circuit that contains two resistors, two capacitors, and a switch that can open or close the circuit. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to store and release electrical energy.

2. How does a 2-resistor, 2-capacitor circuit with switch work?

In this circuit, the capacitors act as energy storage devices, while the resistors control the flow of current. When the switch is closed, the capacitors charge up to the voltage of the power source. When the switch is opened, the capacitors discharge their stored energy through the resistors, creating a brief pulse of current.

3. What is the purpose of using a switch in this circuit?

The switch in a 2-resistor, 2-capacitor circuit allows for control over when the capacitors release their stored energy. This can be useful in electronic devices where precise timing is important, such as in a camera flash or a pulse generator.

4. What are the applications of a 2-resistor, 2-capacitor circuit with switch?

This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices that require a brief pulse of current, such as flash cameras, strobe lights, and pulse generators. It can also be used in more complex circuits, such as audio filters and oscillators.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a 2-resistor, 2-capacitor circuit with switch?

One potential drawback is that the capacitors in this circuit have a limited lifespan, as they can only be charged and discharged a certain number of times before they degrade. Additionally, this type of circuit can be sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, which may affect its performance.