Design and Fabrication of a scaled down deLaval nozzle.

In summary: I can read indepth about nozzle design?In summary, a researcher is looking for guidance on designing a simple deLaval nozzle to achieve supersonic velocity in the lab. He does not want to follow the cfd method or any other software method at this point. If someone could please guide him with calculating the various design parameters of the nozzle, he would be grateful.
MdAsher
Greetings Everyone,
I am lookin forward to design a simple deLaval nozzle to achieve supersonic velocity in lab. I do not want to follow the cfd method or any other software method as of now. If someone could please guide me with calculating the various design parameters of the nozzle like inlet diameter, throat diameter, divergent diameter, cone angle and length of the nozzle.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can certainly calculate the area ratios in question using only some algebra but if you are wanting to determine the length and shape of that divergent section you'll need more detail than just "how long should it be" and you'll need at least rudimentary CFD. Without using a computer, doing the method of characteristics to determine these parameters would be daunting.

For example, what Mach number do you want to achieve? How large do you want it to be (i.e. what are the maximum dimensions you could tolerate)? Do you want to expand the flow to the exit as quickly (in space) as possible or do you want a longer, smoother nozzle? How accurate does your final Mach number have to be (i.e. do you need to account for the nozzle wall boundary layer in the design)? Do you want it to be 2D (rectangular exit) or axisymmeteic (circular exit)?

These are the kinds of bits of information you need to know if you want to design a nozzle for real. Now, you may be able to get away with just knowing the exit-to-throat area ratio and then machining anything that fits the bill, but we don't know that based on what you asked.

Thank you sir, would you please suggest me some books werin I can read indepth about nozzle design?

Thank you sir, it's really helpful. I hav started with Liepmann, starting to get a better picture.
Thank you sir

Related to Design and Fabrication of a scaled down deLaval nozzle.

1. What is a deLaval nozzle?

A deLaval nozzle is a type of nozzle used in rocket engine design to accelerate and expand the flow of hot gases, converting thermal energy into kinetic energy. It was invented by Swedish engineer Gustaf de Laval in the late 19th century.

2. Why is it important to scale down the deLaval nozzle?

Scaling down the deLaval nozzle allows for more cost-effective testing and experimentation, as well as potential applications in smaller rocket engines and other propulsion systems.

3. How is the scaled down deLaval nozzle designed and fabricated?

The design and fabrication of a scaled down deLaval nozzle involves using computer-aided design (CAD) software to create a precise and accurate model, which is then 3D printed or machined using specialized equipment and materials.

4. What materials are typically used in the fabrication of a scaled down deLaval nozzle?

The materials used in the fabrication of a scaled down deLaval nozzle may vary depending on the specific design and application, but typically include metals such as stainless steel or titanium, as well as high-temperature resistant materials like ceramic composites.

5. What are some potential applications of a scaled down deLaval nozzle?

A scaled down deLaval nozzle has potential applications in small satellite propulsion systems, experimental rocket engines, and even in industrial processes such as gas turbines. It can also be used for educational purposes in teaching about rocket engine design and fluid dynamics.