Design & Build a 12V Heating Pad - Advice Needed

In summary, Mike advises against building a 12 volt electric heating pad because of the dangerous temperatures it could reach and the legal risks involved.
ljstew
Hello
I am not an engineer or an electrician. I would like some advice on designing and building a 12 volt electric heating pad.
I am thinking I would like it to warm to 150-200 degree in 3-4 minutes, that is just a thought.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
ljstew said:
I am not an engineer or an electrician.

These are two good reasons not to proceed further with this project.

ljstew said:
Hello

I am thinking I would like it to warm to 150-200 degree in 3-4 minutes, that is just a thought.
Thanks

that is reason 3 think about what that temp would do to someones skin. Not including the fact that you shouldn't play with electricity without formal training.

edit:just realized your probably talking Fahrenheit, not Celsius lol

Last edited:
Mordred said:
that is reason 3 think about what that temp would do to someones skin. Not including the fact that you shouldn't play with electricity without formal training.

edit:just realized your probably talking Fahrenheit, not Celsius lol

200F would still be dangerous for skin contact - even if there were no actual roast pork smell.

Heating something quickly is not difficult - unless. Unless it is large and takes a lot of heat, or is boiling off a liquid. Companies like Minco make off-the shelf heaters for these applications, but if your playing with these temperatures, you need thermal protection devices to prevent fire, and guard structures to keep people from being hurt.

No one will sell such a product without UL approving it first.

This may not seem like much until the judge declares that all your liquid assets and 30% of your future income is awarded to someone you hurt.

Thanks Mike. Those temps. may be more than I need. Actually I'm thinking I can lower the actual temp. and use more insulation. My pad will only be about 16"x 24"

I plan to form a L.L.C. if I put this in prouction. I have came up with an idea and am wanting to build a proto

You need to learn about flexible resistive heating elements/wire, insulating materials, power systems design, industrial design (make it attractive and durable) and lastly about the regulatory agencies concerned with safety in the country you want to sell it.

I'd start by taking apart the products most similar to what you want to produce, and looking at all the regulatory icons on the package.

Your best bet is to contract with an experienced manufacturer of heating pads.

Great idea I will go to a thrift shop and buy an electric blank or heating pad.
Thanks Big Guy

1. What materials do I need to build a 12V heating pad?

To build a 12V heating pad, you will need the following materials:

• A 12V DC power source (such as a battery)
  • A heating element (such as a resistor or heating wire)
  • Insulation material (such as foam or cotton batting)
  • A fabric cover
  • Electrical wires
  • A switch (optional)

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and wattage for my heating pad?

The size and wattage of your heating pad will depend on the intended use and the amount of heat you want it to generate. Generally, a heating pad for personal use should be around 12x24 inches and have a wattage of 25-50 watts. For larger heating pads or more intense heat, you may need a higher wattage.

3. Can I adjust the temperature of my 12V heating pad?

Yes, you can adjust the temperature of your heating pad by using a variable resistor or a potentiometer. This will allow you to control the amount of current flowing through the heating element, thus regulating the temperature.

4. Is it safe to use a 12V heating pad?

As long as you use the appropriate materials and handle them properly, a 12V heating pad can be safe to use. Be sure to use a low voltage power source, such as a 12V battery, and properly insulate all electrical components to prevent any potential hazards. Always follow safety precautions when working with electricity.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a 12V heating pad?

When using a 12V heating pad, it is important to follow safety precautions to prevent any potential hazards. Be sure to properly insulate all electrical components and never leave the heating pad unattended while in use. Additionally, be sure to use a power source with the appropriate voltage and never exceed the recommended wattage for your heating pad.