Design Portable Container for Medicine at 4 °C for 12 Hours

In summary, the task is to design a portable container that can keep medicines at around 4 degrees Celsius for at least 12 hours. The design is based on Fouriers law and thermal resistance, where q represents heat transfer rate, k represents thermal conductivity, A represents cross sectional area, T1-T2 represents temperature difference, and L represents material thickness. The problem is poorly explained, but the guidelines for the design are the duration the container needs to stay below the maximum ambient temperature. The time factor is important in Fouriers law and the temperature inside the container will eventually reach the ambient temperature. The thermal capacity of the inside of the container needs to be calculated and the shape of the temperature curve is exponential. The design proposed is a cube
karmatic

Homework Statement

Design a portable container that will keep medicines at around 4 degrees celcius for at least 12 hours.

Homework Equations

Fouriers law, q=kA(T1-T2/L)
Thermal Resistance=L/kA

q=heat transfer rate (in W)
K=thermal conductivity (W/M*degrees C)
A=cross sectional area normal to heat flow (m2)
T1-T2=temperature difference across the material of L thickness (degrees C)
L=material thickness (m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost with this, in my text it gives me the definition of the terms in the equation but I'm not sure what it means by cross sectional area normal to heat flow, is that just the surface area? and if so it would be the outside surface area correct? I am also not sure where the concept of time comes into this equation. So far all I have is the values for the temperature gradient which would be 28o-4o.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not told the maximum ambient T. Do you have to guess it ?
What is the box is left at the sun light ? :)
A hot summer day can be 45°C
Can you put a block of ice into the box ?

The problem is really poorly explained.

the only guidelines for the design are the duration it has to stay below the max temp. I was just going to use 28 degrees C as a starting off point, and then once I can show the relationship between the material used and dimensions of the box on the temperature within the box, come up with a variety of options to display in a graph. I'm just not sure how the time factor comes into fouriers law, I'm guessing it has something to do with the units of thermal conductivity which is in Watts correct? I need to find my other textbook...

I'm just not sure how the time factor comes into fouriers law,

The temp inside the box will eventually reach the ambient temperature after a long (infinite) time. The shape of T versus time is an exponential curve, like the RC discharge curve, if you're familiar with electric circuits.
You should define a thermal capacity of the inside in J/kg.

I have absolutely no experience with anything to do with electric circuits! How would I go about calculating a thermal capacity?

Also, I still don't know what is meant by "A=cross sectional area normal to heat flow (m2)"

edit* and isn't thermal capacity measured in Joules per Kelvin?

Last edited:
okay attempt at solution so far. I decided on a cube shape, sides of 0.5m and a thickness of 0.02m made of glass. The glass has thermal conductivity of 1.4 W/m*k, at a room temperature of 34oC.

q=kA(T1-T2/L)
q=(1.4W/m*k)(1.5m2)(30oC/0.02)
q=3150W=3150J/s

So that gives me the heat transfer rate, 3150J/s? But now I don't know how to use that information to solve the problem, and when working out the heat transfer rate of the air within the box do I simply add that to the heat transfer rate of the glass to get a total amount?

edit* adding the heat transfer rate calculation for your criticism, I'm unsure of the value for L that I used...

q=(0.0263W/m*k)(1.2696m2)(30oC/0.46)
q=2.17764W=2.17764J/s

Last edited:
I'm now trying to calculate the specific heat of the box using Ethermal=mc(Tfinal-Tinitial), and for some reason I'm getting a higher value for glass than for air, which seems wrong because from what I have read in my textbook gases are meant to have a lower level of heat transfer than solids. I can't work out what I'm getting wrong here, I've obviously got the wrong idea about something. Can anybody please help me?

can anyone help at all? I have to try to complete a 15 page report on this by the end of the day, and I can't even start writing it without the correct science behind it all =(

Related to Design Portable Container for Medicine at 4 °C for 12 Hours

1. How does the design of the portable container ensure the medicine stays at 4 °C for 12 hours?

The portable container is equipped with insulation material to maintain a constant temperature of 4 °C. Additionally, it also contains ice packs or gel packs that will provide a cooling effect and help regulate the temperature inside the container for 12 hours.

2. What type of material is the portable container made of?

The portable container is made of a lightweight, durable material such as plastic or metal. These materials are known for their insulating properties and ability to maintain a consistent temperature.

3. Can the portable container be reused?

Yes, the portable container can be reused multiple times. However, it is important to properly clean and disinfect the container after each use to prevent any contamination.

4. How do you ensure the medicine is safe to use after being stored in the portable container for 12 hours?

The portable container is designed to maintain a temperature of 4 °C for 12 hours, which is the optimal temperature for storing most medicines. This helps to prevent any degradation or loss of potency in the medicine, ensuring it is safe to use.

5. Is the portable container suitable for all types of medicine?

The portable container is suitable for most medicines that require storage at 4 °C. However, it is important to check the specific storage requirements for the medicine you are storing to ensure it is compatible with the container.