Rate of Energy Transferred, Aluminum Pot

In summary: I'll need to verify the calculations.I wondered about the conductivity figure, but if anything it seems a little high. I'll need to verify the calculations.
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

The bottom of a circular, aluminum pot has a radius of 8cm and a thickness of 1cm. The temperature of the stove top is 120 degrees celsius and the temperature of the pot initially is 20 degrees celsius. What is the rate at which energy is transferred through the bottom of the pot?

a. 300W

b. 2589W

c. 2.67X10^5W

d. 4.79X10^4W

e. 7.89W

Homework Equations

P=KA(TH-TC)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Thermal Conductivity(K) of Aluminum: 220 k (J/s⋅m⋅ºC)
A(Cross sectional area the energy goes through): .08m??
(Th-Tc): (120-20degreeC)
L(Distance energy travels): .01m?

Im not sure if this is the right equation to use, or if A or L is correct. I am not getting the answer this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
DracoMalfoy said:
if this is the right equation to use, or if A or L is correct
Right equation, right L, but the 8cm is a radius, not an area.

haruspex said:
Right equation, right L, but the 8cm is a radius, not an area.
i understand. i got the answer. d i think

DracoMalfoy said:
i understand. i got the answer. d i think
Yes, that's the nearest to what I get ... 44230W ... but worryingly different.

haruspex said:
Yes, that's the nearest to what I get ... 44230W ... but worryingly different.
I've noticed that the OP has several posts where the source of relevant constants is a tad dubious and differ from other more reliable sources by a fairly substantial percent. I'm not sure if these sources are mandated by the course or randomly chosen by the OP, but either way it's a bit disconcerting.

gneill said:
I've noticed that the OP has several posts where the source of relevant constants is a tad dubious and differ from other more reliable sources by a fairly substantial percent. I'm not sure if these sources are mandated by the course or randomly chosen by the OP, but either way it's a bit disconcerting.
I wondered about the conductivity figure, but if anything it seems a little high.

1. How does the rate of energy transferred in an aluminum pot compare to other types of pots?

The rate of energy transferred in an aluminum pot is generally faster than other types of pots, such as stainless steel or cast iron. This is because aluminum is a better conductor of heat, allowing for quicker heating and cooling of the pot's contents.

2. Does the thickness of the aluminum pot affect the rate of energy transfer?

Yes, the thickness of the aluminum pot does affect the rate of energy transfer. Thicker pots will have a slower rate of energy transfer compared to thinner pots, as there is more material for the heat to travel through.

3. How does the shape of an aluminum pot impact the rate of energy transfer?

The shape of an aluminum pot can also affect the rate of energy transfer. Pots with wider or flatter bases will have a larger surface area in contact with the heat source, leading to a faster rate of energy transfer compared to taller, narrower pots.

4. Does the type of heat source used with an aluminum pot affect the rate of energy transfer?

Yes, the type of heat source can impact the rate of energy transfer in an aluminum pot. Gas stoves tend to have a higher rate of energy transfer compared to electric stoves, as they provide more direct and intense heat.

5. How can I increase the rate of energy transfer in an aluminum pot?

To increase the rate of energy transfer in an aluminum pot, you can use a higher heat setting or stir the contents of the pot more frequently. Additionally, using a lid on the pot can help to trap heat and increase the rate of energy transfer.