Designing a combustion chamber (solid mechanics problem)

In summary: If your design includes a cooling system, then the combustion temperature will not exceed the exit temperature.
Hobold
Here's my problem: I want to design a cylindrical combustion chamber for a hybrid propelent rocket. Basically, I will burn paraffin and use oxygen as oxidant. As I will be using stainless steel, I thought I could approximate the maximum stress that must be resisted by the material through a simple pressure vessel, so it would be t = σ/(p*r), where σ is the maximum stress resisted by stainless steel with a secutiry coefficient, p is the internal pressure and r is the internal radius and then I would have the needed wall thickness t.

There is one problem, though: the combustion temperature is about 1000°C and I have no idea if it will affect greatly the resistence of the material. I believe, as paraffin is not a great heat conductor, there won't be much heat transference to steel and, as the combustion is quick (~10s), there won't be a great increase of temperature.

Am I doing right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the allowable stress of your stainless steel will be significantly reduced at 1000 degF.

You can find these allowable stresses in ASME B31.1, B31.3, or BPV VIII, Div. 1. You can use the hoop stress formula you listed or the ones in these codes.

You may need to switch to 316H to make this work.

Hobold said:
There is one problem, though: the combustion temperature is about 1000°C ... I believe, as paraffin is not a great heat conductor, there won't be much heat transference to steel and, as the combustion is quick (~10s), there won't be a great increase of temperature.

The heat transfer will not be limited because paraffin is a poor conductor. It will mostly be convection and radiation from the hot gas.

If your design doesn't include a cooling system, I would assume the combustor temperature could rise to the maximum flame temperature, which will higher than the average exit temperature of the gas.

1. What are the main factors to consider when designing a combustion chamber?

The main factors to consider when designing a combustion chamber are the type of fuel being used, the desired combustion efficiency, the operating temperature and pressure, and the materials used in the construction of the chamber.

2. How does the shape of the combustion chamber affect its performance?

The shape of the combustion chamber can greatly impact its performance. A well-designed shape can promote efficient mixing of fuel and air, provide a smooth flow of gases, and minimize heat loss, resulting in improved combustion efficiency.

3. What materials are commonly used in the construction of a combustion chamber?

The materials used in the construction of a combustion chamber must be able to withstand high temperatures and pressures. Common materials include stainless steel, ceramic composites, and nickel-based alloys.

4. How can computer simulations be used in the design of a combustion chamber?

Computer simulations can be used to model the flow of gases, heat transfer, and combustion processes within a combustion chamber. This allows for the optimization of chamber design before physical testing, saving time and resources.

5. What are some important safety considerations when designing a combustion chamber?

Safety is a crucial factor in the design of a combustion chamber. Proper ventilation, control of fuel and air flow, and the use of safety mechanisms such as pressure relief valves are important to prevent accidents and ensure safe operation of the chamber.