Designing a Fusion Reactor: Calculating Plasma Currents

In summary: I have also been reading a lot of papers on plasma physics and fusion.I would like to know more about the various fusion reactor designs that are available. Do you have any recommendations?Yes, I would recommend reading about the modern fusion reactor designs such as the Magnetic Field Theoretical Fusion Energy (MFTE) or the Tokamak. However, be warned that these are fairly complex to understand and may require some outside reading if you want to get into the nitty gritty details.Yes, I would recommend reading about the modern fusion reactor designs such as the Magnetic Field Theoretical Fusion Energy (MFTE) or the Tokamak. However, be warned that these are fairly complex to understand and may require some
Dr. Octavious
Hello all,

This might sound very optimistic for a project but I want to design a thermonuclear fusion reactor. Does anyone know how I can calculate the required plasma current I need in order to start a thermonuclear fusion process? I am using a mixture of Deuterium-Tritium gas.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://fusionforenergy.europa.eu/understandingfusion/technology.aspx

The above may help.

Dr. Octavious said:
I am using a mixture of Deuterium-Tritium gas.

Frankly, I don't believe you have any tritium gas. If you do, you need to contact the authorities immediately about proper disposal.

Next, "optimistic" is not the word for it. If you said instead "I want to design a jet aircraft. Does anyone know how I can calculate how much fuel I need?" would you expect people to think you had a chance? This is even harder.

Vanadium 50 said:
Frankly, I don't believe you have any tritium gas. If you do, you need to contact the authorities immediately about proper disposal.

Next, "optimistic" is not the word for it. If you said instead "I want to design a jet aircraft. Does anyone know how I can calculate how much fuel I need?" would you expect people to think you had a chance? This is even harder.
You are right, i do not have tritium gas. This is a theoretical approach (meaning calculations) not so much practical.

What is your technical background? What textbooks on Plasma Physics and Fusion have you been reading so far? Have you studied Chen?

What do you know about the various fusion reactor designs? Have you read about MFTFB? :smile: Or more modern reactor designs?

@berkeman I have basic nuclear physics knowledge, and for the past year I've read a lot of information regarding aspects of nuclear fusion (Coulomb's barrier,quantum tunneling, Lawson's criterion-triple product etc.). I am basically interested in a TOKAMAK reactor :) I've calculated many variables regarding the plasma and its parameters plus the confinement (toroidal field) I just can't find how to calculate the plasma current.

Dr. Octavious said:
Hello all,

This might sound very optimistic for a project but I want to design a thermonuclear fusion reactor. Does anyone know how I can calculate the required plasma current I need in order to start a thermonuclear fusion process? I am using a mixture of Deuterium-Tritium gas.

Thanks!

In reactor design studies the plasma current is typically set by a number of stability boundaries. Increasing the current increases the maximum stable pressure via the Greenwald limit. It also increases the maximum stable pressure via the Troyon limit. A simple place to start is to pick the safety factor on axis and at the edge. At the very least you want q on axis above 1 to avoid sawteeth, and q at the edge to be above 5 or so.

Likes Dr. Octavious
the_wolfman said:
In reactor design studies the plasma current is typically set by a number of stability boundaries. Increasing the current increases the maximum stable pressure via the Greenwald limit. It also increases the maximum stable pressure via the Troyon limit. A simple place to start is to pick the safety factor on axis and at the edge. At the very least you want q on axis above 1 to avoid sawteeth, and q at the edge to be above 5 or so.
Great, thank you very much!

What is a fusion reactor?

A fusion reactor is a device that creates and contains a plasma of hydrogen isotopes at extremely high temperatures and pressures, causing the nuclei to fuse and release energy in the form of heat.

Why is it important to calculate plasma currents in designing a fusion reactor?

Plasma currents play a critical role in the stability and efficiency of a fusion reactor. Accurate calculations of plasma currents help determine the required magnetic field strength and shape, as well as the amount of energy produced.

What factors influence the calculation of plasma currents in a fusion reactor?

The main factors that influence the calculation of plasma currents include the plasma density and temperature, the shape of the magnetic field, and the presence of impurities in the plasma.

How are plasma currents calculated in a fusion reactor?

Plasma currents are typically calculated using a combination of theoretical models and experimental data. Computer simulations and mathematical equations are used to estimate the behavior of the plasma, and experimental measurements are used to validate the results.

What challenges are faced in calculating plasma currents for fusion reactor design?

Calculating plasma currents for fusion reactor design is a complex and challenging task. Some of the key challenges include accurately modeling the behavior of plasma at extreme temperatures and pressures, accounting for the effects of impurities, and dealing with the inherent uncertainties in the calculations.