Designing a PSPICE Ring Oscillator with CMOS Inverters | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a simple ring oscillator using three stages of cascaded CMOS inverters. The speaker is having trouble simulating the circuit and is seeking help. They have a basic understanding of inverters and ring oscillators but are new to using Pspice and are confused by the codes and models. The main question is how to create an initial deviation in order to start the oscillator. The conversation also touches on the necessity of using buffered inverters for the oscillation to occur.
Novice10

Homework Statement

I'm required to design a simple ring oscillator... One with three stages of cascaded cmos inverters using pspice capture(student version)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have simulated the circuit with a 5v supply but all i see is a dc line at 2.50v.has this got something to do with triggering the oscillator?.. Please help me. I'm completely new to this. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
At first, it would be very helpful (for us) to see your schematic.
Secondly - do you know the basic working principles of (a) a CMOS inverter (linear application) and (b) such a ring oscillator?
If yes - give a short summary.

ringckt.png
ringwave.png

Attachments

• ringwave.png
    ringwave.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 686
Should have done that in the first place.

Inverters and ring oscillator--yes i know the basics about them.But I've studied them all as digital circuits(using just gates).Pspice--i know next to nothing and all these codes with models of transistors just confuse me.

Basically,what i know of a ring oscillator--it is a circuit with only one stable operating point that is vin=vout=threshold of the inverter.Therefore,whenever there's a devviation from this the circuit starts oscillating and this goes on indefinitely because of the feedback.

One thing i don't get is how this initial deviation should be done--i found references to a single pulse,a part named initial conditions.I've tried them all but they don't work for me.
I'd really appreciate any help on this.just telling me what I've done wrong would be good enough.

Thanks.

1.) Your diagram cannot be evaluated. Are YOIU able to read it - as it appears here?
2.) Why does the ring oscillator oscillate? How is the frequency determined?

Novice10 said:
Basically,what i know of a ring oscillator--it is a circuit with only one stable operating point that is vin=vout=threshold of the inverter.Therefore,whenever there's a devviation from this the circuit starts oscillating and this goes on indefinitely because of the feedback.
I think you're supposed to use buffered inverters, where there is no possibility of stable DC operation.

1. What is a Pspice ring oscillator?

A Pspice ring oscillator is an electronic circuit that uses positive feedback to generate a continuous oscillation signal. It is commonly used in the design and testing of integrated circuits.

2. How does a Pspice ring oscillator work?

A Pspice ring oscillator consists of an odd number of inverters connected in a ring, with the output of the last inverter connected to the input of the first. This creates a loop of positive feedback, causing the output signal to oscillate at a specific frequency determined by the time delay of the inverters.

3. Why is a Pspice ring oscillator used in circuit design?

Pspice ring oscillators are used in circuit design to test the performance of integrated circuits, including their speed, power consumption, and noise characteristics. They are also useful for generating clock signals in digital circuits.

4. What factors affect the frequency of a Pspice ring oscillator?

The frequency of a Pspice ring oscillator is affected by the number of inverters in the ring, the delay of each inverter, and the supply voltage. Additionally, any external capacitances or resistances connected to the oscillator can also impact its frequency.

5. How can I simulate a Pspice ring oscillator in software?

To simulate a Pspice ring oscillator in software, you can use Pspice software or any other circuit simulation tool that has a Pspice library. You will need to create a circuit using the appropriate Pspice components and simulate it to observe the oscillator's behavior and frequency.