How to Design a Simple Transistor Amplifier with Given Data?

In summary,The circuit above shows a simple transistor amplifier with the given data. β=100, VA=100V, and RL=10kΩ. neglecting the "early-effect", the circuit needs to be designed so that IE=0.5mA and VC=5V. I'm familiar with the β part, it means DC gain, or collector current divided by base current. What I'm not familiar with is VA. Where is VA measured? If it's a typo, what can it be? I would ask my professor this, but he's away for the week so that makes it slightly difficult. More to the problem itself. The DC analysis here should be very straight
Mutaja

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=ce6f6bdcea5864eaecc6ce9c18efff4e.png

The circuit above shows a simple transistor amplifier with the given data:
β=100, VA = 100V, RL = 10kΩ

a) neglect the "early-effect" and design the circuit so that IE = 0.5mA and VC = 5V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm familiar with the β part, it means DC gain, or collector current divided by base current. What I'm not familiar with is VA. Where is VA measured? If it's a typo, what can it be? I would ask my professor this, but he's away for the week so that makes it slightly difficult.

More to the problem itself. The DC analysis here should be very straight forward, I feel I just need some help to get started.

I need to set up an equation here so that IE = 0.5mA and VC = 5V. Do I also need to analyse the base-to-collector "junction" to see if it's a forward or reverse biased pn junction? That way I get the base-to-collector voltage (VBC)

Pardon me if I'm far off here, but I'm looking at a slightly different circuit for DC analysis.

Any help of guidance here will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Simple transistor amplifier.PNG
    Simple transistor amplifier.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 636
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see any edit button, but if it's there, I'm sorry about this double post.

I've had some time to think about this problem now, and it seems logic to me that what I'm dealing with here is a forward biased pn junction at the base-to-emitter junction. This is because of the direction of the current through the emitter is the same direction as the current through the base.

Can I assume that the voltage across the base and emitter then is 0.7v? I have a similar problem in my lecture notes, but it doesn't clarify where the 0.7V comes from.

If I'm correct this far, I should be able to use this information to set up an equation for the current through the base, and then use that to set up an equation and calculate which numbers I need on my resistors?

Hopefully I'm on to something here.

Yes, that is the correct approach. :-)

I'm not back home and I can spend some time solving this.

Using my example in my book, which is the following:

?temp_hash=590d1c01efb92c8dccf7fdb77c16136e.jpg

?temp_hash=590d1c01efb92c8dccf7fdb77c16136e.jpg

I get this:

I'm assuming IB = IC. If this is wrong, please try to explain why.

IB = VSIG divided by RSIG -> VSIG = 0.5mA *2.5kΩ
VSIG 1.25V

IC = 100*IB = 50mA -> current divider between RL and RC.

For VC = 5V, I'm using the current divider rule between RC and RL forcing RC to be 101.01Ω if 50mA is going through the collector, and it's divided between RC and RL. That means 0.5mA is going through RL and 49.5mA is going through RC.

Is any of this correct?

Any input or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 500
  • IMAG0371rotated.jpg
    IMAG0371rotated.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 527
It's been a day or so without any replies, and I haven't gotten anywhere on my own so I'm bumping this thread.

As always, and input, tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

The circuit in your post #1 has capacitor coupling to RL so the DC current does not divide between RC and RL. You can ignore RL when designing biasing. In your design you need for Vsig to be both a source of DC (for biasing) and a small signal source (to illustrate AC amplification).

Yes, assume VBE = 0.7v.

I'm assuming IB = IC. If this is wrong, please try to explain why.
Surely you mean IC = β.IB?

Last edited:
Mutaja said:
II get this:

I'm assuming IE = IC. If this is wrong, please try to explain why.
Close enough. Accurate to within 1% since β=100. The right thing to do.
(Note that I changed your IB to IE. The BJT equations are IC ~ IE = βIB if the device is biased in the active region.)

Forget RL. This is a dc setup computation.
1. Compute VE. Assume VB = 0 (accurate to 10 mV). Assume VBE = 0.7V.
2. Compute RE to give 0.5 mA.
3. Compute RC to give VC = +5.0V.

1. What is a simple transistor amplifier?

A simple transistor amplifier is an electronic circuit that uses a transistor to amplify a weak input signal and produce a stronger output signal. It is commonly used in audio devices, such as speakers and headphones, to increase the volume of sound.

2. How does a transistor amplifier work?

A transistor amplifier works by using a small input signal to control a larger output signal. The transistor acts as an amplifier by controlling the flow of current between its collector and emitter terminals. By adjusting the input signal, the transistor can amplify the output signal to a desired level.

3. What are the main components of a simple transistor amplifier?

The main components of a simple transistor amplifier include a transistor, resistors, capacitors, and a power source. The transistor is the main amplifying element, while the resistors and capacitors are used to control the flow of current and adjust the amplifier's gain and frequency response. The power source provides the necessary energy for the amplifier to function.

4. What are the advantages of using a simple transistor amplifier?

There are several advantages of using a simple transistor amplifier. It is a cost-effective and compact solution for amplifying signals, making it ideal for use in portable devices. It also has a high input impedance, which means it can amplify weak signals without significantly affecting the source. Additionally, transistor amplifiers have a wide frequency response, making them suitable for amplifying various types of signals.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of a simple transistor amplifier?

One potential drawback of a simple transistor amplifier is its limited power handling capabilities. It may not be suitable for amplifying high-power signals or for driving large loads. Additionally, it is sensitive to changes in temperature, which can affect its performance. Lastly, transistor amplifiers can introduce noise and distortion to the output signal, so careful design and component selection are crucial for achieving high-quality amplification.