Designing an op-amp given the output formula

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI have no idea how to approach this. I know there are two voltages on the two inputs, and that the feedback resistors should be going to the negative input, but how do I pick the values for the resistors?
rasen58

Homework Statement

Design an op-amp based circuit to produce the function
Vout = 5*V1 - 4*V2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this. I know there are two voltages on the two inputs, and that the feedback resistors should be going to the negative input, but how do I pick the values for the resistors?

Physics news on Phys.org
rasen58 said:

Homework Statement

Design an op-amp based circuit to produce the function
Vout = 5*V1 - 4*V2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this. I know there are two voltages on the two inputs, and that the feedback resistors should be going to the negative input, but how do I pick the values for the resistors?

What opamp configurations are you familiar with? Have you worked with the summing opamp configuration? Can you think of a way to do this subtraction all with one opamp? How about with two opamps?

I think I got it. I can use one op amp and there is a voltage source on each input. So using feedback to the negative side, I can use KCL on the node there and once rearranging that equation, I tried values for the two resistors to make them equal the equation.

rasen58 said:
I think I got it. I can use one op amp and there is a voltage source on each input. So using feedback to the negative side, I can use KCL on the node there and once rearranging that equation, I tried values for the two resistors to make them equal the equation.

How many resistors in total you plan to use?

I used 2: one was 20k and the other was 5k

If you can do that with only 2 resistors you are a genius!
So where are your two inputs V1 and V2 connected?
(Hint: try 4).

Related to Designing an op-amp given the output formula

What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is widely used in electronic circuits for various applications such as amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning.

What is the output formula for an op-amp?

The output formula for an op-amp is Vout = A(V+ - V-), where A is the amplification factor, V+ is the positive input voltage, and V- is the negative input voltage.

How do you design an op-amp using the output formula?

To design an op-amp, you first need to determine the required amplification factor and input voltages for your specific application. Then, you can select an appropriate op-amp with the desired characteristics and use the output formula to calculate the required output voltage.

What are the key considerations when designing an op-amp?

Some key considerations when designing an op-amp include the desired amplification factor, input and output voltage ranges, frequency response, and power supply requirements. Additionally, factors such as noise, temperature, and stability should also be taken into account.

What are some common op-amp circuit configurations?

Some common op-amp circuit configurations include inverting and non-inverting amplifiers, differential amplifiers, and integrators/differentiators. Each configuration has its own characteristics and is suitable for different applications.