Designing counters using J-K, S-R, and T flip flops?

• Thread starter sirclash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, the person is having trouble determining the upper and lower halves of a karnaugh map when designing a counter with flip flops. They have a 4-bit table with the next state included and are trying to convert it into separate J and K maps. They know the rules for conversion but are unsure about how to determine the upper and lower halves of each map. They are wondering if all the halves are the same based on the significance of the bit or if each flip flop is different. They are looking for clarification and an example problem to help them understand.
sirclash
I'm having a problem determining the upper and lower halves of a karnaugh map when trying to design a counter using flip flops. So where I am at is, taking a 4 bit table with the next state included, putting it into a next state map and then in the J-K, and S-R flip flops tables. I know the rules for converting each table into separate J and K maps(J_a,J_b,J_c,J_d, and K_a,K_b,K_c,K_d maps) however I am stuck on determining how the upper and lowers halves of each map are determined. Are the all the same based on the significance of the bit? or is each flip flop different? Please explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sirclash said:
I'm having a problem determining the upper and lower halves of a karnaugh map when trying to design a counter using flip flops. So where I am at is, taking a 4 bit table with the next state included, putting it into a next state map and then in the J-K, and S-R flip flops tables. I know the rules for converting each table into separate J and K maps(J_a,J_b,J_c,J_d, and K_a,K_b,K_c,K_d maps) however I am stuck on determining how the upper and lowers halves of each map are determined. Are the all the same based on the significance of the bit? or is each flip flop different? Please explain.

Could you post an example problem with your work so far? That would be helpful in trying to figure out where the confusion is. Thanks.

1. How do J-K, S-R, and T flip flops differ from each other?

Each of these flip flops is a type of sequential logic circuit, but they differ in their specific functions and the way their inputs and outputs are connected. J-K flip flops have two inputs, J and K, which can be used to set or reset the output. S-R flip flops have two inputs, S and R, which can be used to set or reset the output. T flip flops have a single input, T, which toggles the output between its current state and the opposite state.

2. How do I choose which type of flip flop to use in my counter design?

The type of flip flop you use will depend on the specific requirements of your counter design. J-K flip flops are often used in synchronous counters because they can be connected to each other to form a ripple counter. S-R flip flops are useful for asynchronous counters because they allow for more flexibility in the counting sequence. T flip flops are commonly used in combination with other flip flops to create more complex counter designs.

3. What are some common applications of counters using J-K, S-R, and T flip flops?

Counters are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as clocks, timers, frequency dividers, and digital meters. They can also be used in more complex systems, such as digital signal processors and microprocessors.

4. Can I use a combination of different flip flops in one counter design?

Yes, it is common to use a combination of J-K, S-R, and T flip flops in a single counter design. This allows for more flexibility in the counting sequence and can also reduce the number of flip flops needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using J-K, S-R, and T flip flops in counter designs?

One limitation to using these flip flops is that they are susceptible to glitches, which are unwanted changes in the output due to changes in the input signals. This can be mitigated by using proper clock signals and synchronous design techniques. Additionally, the speed of the counter may be limited by the propagation delay of the flip flops.