Help building one flip flop using another? (Digital Logic Design)

In summary, The proper procedure for constructing a flip flop using another flip flop, specifically a JK flip flop using a Toggle Flip Flop with an Enable, involves creating a Transition Diagram, Excitation Table, State Table, and a K-map to determine the connections between gates and inputs. An example of a state table for this specific case is also provided.
Chandasouk
Can anyone show me the proper procedure to construct a flip flop using another flip flop? My Teaching Assistant gave us these steps you can use on any occasion but I cannot seem to apply it in this certain case.

How do you build a JK flip flop using a Toggle Flip Flop with an Enable?

The steps my Teaching Assistant said was to

first construct a Transition Diagram (For the JK flip flop)
Write down the Excitation Table for the Toggle
construct a State Table
make a K-map so you know what gates to connect with what inputs

I am stuck at how to make the state table. Can someone show me what it would look like?

I need to learn this before my exam Tuesday...

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an example of what the state table for the JK flip flop might look like using a Toggle Flip Flop with an Enable:State \ JK | 0 0 | 0 1 | 1 0 | 1 1 ---------|----|-----|-----|-----Q(n-1) | Q | Q' | Q | Q'Toggle | 0 | 1 | 1 | 0Enable | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1

What is a flip flop?

A flip flop is a basic building block in digital logic circuits that stores a single bit of data. It has two stable states (0 or 1) and can be used to store and transfer information in sequential logic circuits.

What is the purpose of building one flip flop using another?

The purpose of building one flip flop using another is to create more complex circuits and to increase the storage capacity of the flip flop. By combining multiple flip flops, it is possible to store and manipulate larger amounts of data.

What are the different types of flip flops?

There are several types of flip flops, including D flip flop, JK flip flop, T flip flop, and SR flip flop. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications.

How do you build one flip flop using another?

To build one flip flop using another, you can use logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates to connect the inputs and outputs of the flip flops. This allows the outputs of one flip flop to be fed into the inputs of another, creating a sequential circuit.

What are the advantages of using multiple flip flops in a circuit?

Using multiple flip flops in a circuit allows for increased storage capacity, more complex operations, and the ability to store and manipulate larger amounts of data. It also allows for the creation of sequential logic circuits, which are essential in many digital systems.