Designing Logic Gates for Multiple Inputs and Outputs in Homework Problems

In summary: It is also generally better to write a sum-of-products expression (SOP) for such cases. So, we could writef_1=\overline{a}\,\overline{b}\,c + \overline{a}\,b\,\overline{c} + a\,\overline{b}\,\overline{c}and f_2=\overline{a}\,\overline{b}\,c + \overline{a}\,b\,\overline{c} + a\,\overline{b}\,cand f_3=\overline{a}\,\overline{b}\,\overline{c}In summary, for the first
seto6

Homework Statement

ok there are two questions. one i was able to do so which is fairly easy, since it had only two variables and one output.

Design a circuit that has two inputs (x and y) and one output (f) that functions in the
following way: the function f is false (0) when x and y are the same, and true (1)
when they are different.

my answer:
2v1rrbb.jpg

and its fine now comes this question:

Design a circuit with three inputs (a,b, and c) and three outputs (f1, f2, and f3). The
first output (f1) should be true (1) whenever the number of 1’s in the three inputs is 2.
The second output (f2) should be true (1) whenever the number of 0’s in the three
inputs is 1. The third output (f3) should be true (1) whenever the number of 0’s in the
three inputs is 3. In all other cases, the outputs should be false (0).
Optional: using all of the gates available, can you build a cheaper implementation
(using fewer gates and/or wires)?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

for the second question this is what i did:

2evsuq1.jpg

as you can see i am now stuck for drawing the logic gate, and stating what the function is equal.

even if three var i am ok, but it is three output.

Important question: for which do i draw logic gates for as you know for the first question i drew when f=1, so for second question, which do i draw gates for, (should i draw for any that has a one in it?)

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you're asking. But clearly [tex]f_1 = f_2[/tex], and it is given by

[tex]f_1=f_2=\bar{a}bc + a(b\bar{c}+\bar{b}c)[/tex]

and [tex]f_3[/tex] is given by

[tex]f_3=\bar{a}\bar{b}\bar{c}[/tex].

Also, it is generally bad form to not order your inputs by standard binary ordering.

1. What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic circuits that perform basic logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT, based on input signals.

2. What is an AND gate?

An AND gate is a logic gate that produces an output signal only if all of its input signals are high (1).

3. What is an OR gate?

An OR gate is a logic gate that produces an output signal if any of its input signals are high (1).

4. What is a NOT gate?

A NOT gate is a logic gate that produces an output signal that is the opposite of its input signal. If the input is high (1), the output will be low (0) and vice versa.

5. How are logic gates used in computer systems?

Logic gates are the building blocks of computer systems and are used to process and manipulate binary data, allowing computers to perform complex operations and functions.