Desmos: Formula input in Firefox

In summary: When I type 1/1+x in both Chrome and Firefox, I get $\frac{1}{1+x}$.When I type 1/1+x in Chrome, the result is $\frac{1}{1+x}$.When I type 1/1+x in Firefox, the result is $\frac{1}{1+x}$.
Evgeny.Makarov
Gold Member
MHB
Is it just me or Desmos ruined its formula input? In the past when I typed [m]x[/m], [m]/[/m], [m]1[/m], [m]+[/m], [m]x[/m] I got $\frac{x}{1+x}$. Now I'm getting $\frac{x}{1}+x$. In fact, I can't figure out how to type $\frac{x}{1+x}$ at all. Even if I have $\frac{1}{1x}$ and the cursor is between 1 and $x$ in the denominator, typing $+$ turns it into $\frac{1}{1x}+$. For another example, after I type [m]cos(sin[/m] I get $\cos(\sin\ )$ and the cursor is immediately after "n" (Desmos automatically inserts closing parenthesis). But when I type [m]([/m] again, I get $\cos(\sin\ )(\ )$. The only way for me to enter formulas seems to be to type them in a text editor and then copy-paste them to Desmos.

I am using Firefox 32 in Ubuntu 14.04. I tried these examples in Chrome 37, and they work fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Is it just me or Desmos ruined its formula input? In the past when I typed [m]x[/m], [m]/[/m], [m]1[/m], [m]+[/m], [m]x[/m] I got $\frac{x}{1+x}$. Now I'm getting $\frac{x}{1}+x$. In fact, I can't figure out how to type $\frac{x}{1+x}$ at all. Even if I have $\frac{1}{1x}$ and the cursor is between 1 and $x$ in the denominator, typing $+$ turns it into $\frac{1}{1x}+$. For another example, after I type [m]cos(sin[/m] I get $\cos(\sin\ )$ and the cursor is immediately after "n" (Desmos automatically inserts closing parenthesis). But when I type [m]([/m] again, I get $\cos(\sin\ )(\ )$. The only way for me to enter formulas seems to be to type them in a text editor and then copy-paste them to Desmos.

I am using Firefox 32 in Ubuntu 14.04. I tried these examples in Chrome 37, and they work fine.

When I type [m]x[/m], [m]/[/m], [m]1[/m], [m]+[/m], [m]x[/m] in both Chrome and Firefox I get \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{1+x}\). By default once typing in the denominator of the fraction is seems to stay there unless I hit the right-arrow key.

When I type in [m]cos(sin[/m] I immediate see this: $\cos( \sin( \ ))$ and my cursor between the two parentheses after $\sin$, which is logical and convenient. I didn't quite catch what is happening on your computer but I think it's different than this.

I'm using OS X 10.9.4 on a Macbook Pro.

Could someone using Firefox in other operating systems, especially Linux, say if they see the behavior I described?

Testing...

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]x/1+x[/desmos]

I entered the formula as part of selecting Desmos in the quick menu.
I entered a second formula x/1+x (not visible), which behaves differently - as expected.

So entering it in the edit box of setup screen comes out as $\frac x 1 + x$, while entering it in interactive mode comes out as $\frac{x}{1+x}$.

I'm using Firefox 31 on Ubuntu 14.04 here.

I like Serena said:
I entered the formula as part of selecting Desmos in the quick menu.
I entered a second formula x/1+x (not visible), which behaves differently - as expected.

So entering it in the edit box of setup screen comes out as $\frac x 1 + 1$, while entering it in interactive mode comes out as $\frac{x}{1+x}$.
Thanks, ILS.

What I meant, in fact, was entering formulas on the Desmos site itself, not on MHB. What I described happens when I go to https://www.desmos.com/calculator and start entering a formula in the top-left corner of the page

View attachment 3454

Could you try this? Are you able to enter $\frac{1}{1+x}$?

Attachments

• desmos.png
    desmos.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 54
Sure.
The result is the same.
1/1+x comes out as $\frac{1}{1+x}$.
I do not get what you show in the screenshot.

OK, it may be just my problem. I do get strange behavior in some text boxes in different applications. (Are they a part of GTK? I am using Unity.) For example, in such diverse applications as Evince and Firefox, when I am entering the name of a bookmark, if I press a capital letter, the input terminates as if I pressed the Enter key. Maybe it's related.

1. What is Desmos and how does it work?

Desmos is an online graphing calculator that allows users to plot equations, create tables, and explore mathematical concepts. It uses a coordinate plane to visualize mathematical functions and allows users to input their own equations and manipulate them in real time.

2. How do I input formulas in Desmos using Firefox?

To input formulas in Desmos using Firefox, simply click on the input bar at the top of the screen and type in your desired equation using standard mathematical notation. You can also use the available buttons and symbols to insert more complex functions.

3. Can I save and share my graphs on Desmos using Firefox?

Yes, you can save and share your graphs on Desmos using Firefox. Simply click on the "save" button in the top right corner of the screen and enter a title and description for your graph. You can then copy the link to share your graph with others.

4. Is there a limit to the number of formulas I can input in Desmos using Firefox?

No, there is no limit to the number of formulas you can input in Desmos using Firefox. You can input multiple equations and manipulate them simultaneously to create complex graphs and visualizations.

5. Can I use Desmos for more than just graphing equations?

Yes, you can use Desmos for more than just graphing equations. It also has features for creating tables, plotting points, and exploring mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals. You can also use it to animate graphs and create interactive visualizations.