Desperately needing help on a simple Kirchoff problem

• Thread starter Cetullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kirchoff
In summary: Current entering at node 1 is positive and current leaving at node 3 is negative.You have some sign issues in the loop equations (1) and (3). Your first equation, $$i_1 + i_2 = i_3$$ defines the current directions at the top center node, and you need to respect the those implied directions when you write the KVL loop equations.Here's your diagram with the implied current directions indicated:
Cetullah
Hello people, this time I request your help for a fairly easy question, but a crucial one for me. To be honest I wasn't full awake when my teacher in university was talking on this topic( :( ), so I don't know how to solve it.

Homework Statement

Given on attachment. (Superior paint skills detected)

Homework Equations

Eh, not sure if I really need to say that, but the currents that moves in and moves out from a junction must be equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I ve found the currents which batteries drive on the circuit. 50 V battery drives in 4.5 A, while 40V drives in 4.3 A.

Attachments

• kirchoff.png
    kirchoff.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cetullah said:
Hello people, this time I request your help for a fairly easy question, but a crucial one for me. To be honest I wasn't full awake when my teacher in university was talking on this topic( :( ), so I don't know how to solve it.

Homework Statement

Given on attachment. (Superior paint skills detected)

Homework Equations

Eh, not sure if I really need to say that, but the currents that moves in and moves out from a junction must be equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I ve found the currents which batteries drive on the circuit. 50 V battery drives in 4.5 A, while 40V drives in 4.3 A.

There are several possible approaches to solving this circuit employing Kichhoff's laws (KVL and/or KCL).

The current values you've found don't look right. Can you show your work?

Ah sorry, I have tried to solve the problem again, and found different values. Here is my path:

Currents on junction that is between the two 10Ω's:(1)
i1+i2=i3

Currents on left loop: (2)

50-10i1-20i3+5i1=0

50-5i1-20i3=0

10-i1-4i3=0

Carrying the equation (1) into 2:

10 - (i2+i3) - 4i3=0

10-i2-i3-4i3=0

10-i2-5i3=0

Currents on right loop:(3)

40+20i3-10i2=0

4+2i3-i2=0

Solving the equations:

10-i2-5i3=0

-4 + i2 - 2i3=0

6-7i3=0

i3=6/7=0.85

i2=5.7

i1=6.55

Hoping if these are correct :)

1.There are 3 unknown current flowing in the circuit so you need 3 equations. There are 3 loops, left, right and the outer.

2. Mark you resistor voltage drop sign, positive or negative at its terminal. The point of current entering is positive and leaving negative.

You have some sign issues in the loop equations (1) and (3). Your first equation, $$i_1 + i_2 = i_3$$ defines the current directions at the top center node, and you need to respect the those implied directions when you write the KVL loop equations.

Here's your diagram with the implied current directions indicated:

attachment.php?attachmentid=49550&stc=1&d=1344108434.gif

It is often helpful to mark in the implied potential rises/drops on the individual resistors before setting out to write the KVL equations :wink:

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 474

1. What is Kirchoff's Law and how is it used?

Kirchoff's Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. It is used to solve for unknown currents or voltages in a circuit.

2. What is the difference between Kirchoff's Current Law and Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) deals with the conservation of current at a node, while Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) deals with the conservation of energy around a closed loop in a circuit. KCL is based on the principle of charge conservation, while KVL is based on the principle of energy conservation.

3. How do I apply Kirchoff's Law to a circuit problem?

To apply Kirchoff's Law, you must first identify all the nodes and loops in the circuit. Then, write out the equations for KCL and KVL for each node and loop, respectively. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown currents or voltages.

4. Can Kirchoff's Law be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit, or a more complex circuit with multiple branches. It is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis and is applicable to all types of circuits.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Kirchoff's Law?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Kirchoff's Law include: forgetting to include all the nodes and loops in the circuit, using incorrect signs for the currents or voltages, and not considering the direction of current flow in the equations. It is important to be careful and thorough when applying Kirchoff's Law to avoid these mistakes.