Detecting BPA in Bottled Water and Bath Filters

• Thread starter Secan
  • Start date
In summary: There is a study done by the University of Florida finding that if a plastic water bottle is exposed to long periods of heat, it can release bisphenol A (commonly abbreviated as BPA) and the chemical element antimony into the water. Researchers...warned that prolonged exposure to the sun or heat could increase the levels of these pollutants in the water.
Secan
I bought 15 pcs of expensive triple filtered bottled water in a box and forgot to bring it out of the car storage at the back and the car exposed to sunlight for a day. What easy tests can you check for presence of BPA in the bottle water? I'm contemplating what to do with the 15 bottles.

Second. I have a sediment filter in my bathroom and it's after the water heater, meaning it's constantly exposed to the heat. What would happen if it releases BPA during bath and your skin exposed to it? Would it seep inside the skin or make you age faster, etc.?
20200926_054249.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Secan said:
What easy tests can you check for presence of BPA in the bottle water? I'm contemplating what to do with the 15 bottles.
If you have a sufficiently sensitive test, all water will be shown to contain BPA. It is probably easier to put the water through an activated charcoal filter than to analyse for BPA. What you do will depend on what you intend to do with the water, and your fears.

Secan said:
I have a sediment filter in my bathroom and it's after the water heater, meaning it's constantly exposed to the heat.
BPA will enter the water before the heater. A sediment filter will not remove BPA.
The filter will release very little BPA after it has been installed and flushed.

Absorption through your skin should not be a problem. If you can increase the salt content in the bath water, the osmotic pressure will not push so much water (with BPA) into your body through your skin.

I'd start by seeing if you can determine the type of plastic used, and if it even contains BPA.

Baluncore said:
If you have a sufficiently sensitive test, all water will be shown to contain BPA. It is probably easier to put the water through an activated charcoal filter than to analyse for BPA. What you do will depend on what you intend to do with the water, and your fears.

The bottle water is for a baby milk.
So what would it take to analyze for BPA or other substances that can leach from the bottle when it is inside car trunk for an entire day? An electron microscope or a PCR substrate, etc? And what other substances are usually leeched? This is the bottle. It's just a normal disposable bottle water.

20201009_090854.jpg

BPA will enter the water before the heater. A sediment filter will not remove BPA.
The filter will release very little BPA after it has been installed and flushed.

What do you mean the BPA will enter the water before the heater? The water is stored in DAMs in the city, then it passed through concrete pipes under the street. Then it pass by GI pipes in the house. So how could BPA get into the water before the heater?

Absorption through your skin should not be a problem. If you can increase the salt content in the bath water, the osmotic pressure will not push so much water (with BPA) into your body through your skin.

You should move your filter to the cold side of your water heaters.

Secan said:
So how could BPA get into the water before the heater?
Plastic floats at the surface of the water in the dam. Sunlight on the plastic breaks down the structure. The water contains those products, unless they are bound by biology or clay.
You can never completely escape your environment to an absolutely pure system.

What is it that concerns you about the very small amount of BPA that might be present ?
Do you believe that progressive homeopathic dilution increases the effects of BPA ?

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Plastic floats at the surface of the water in the dam. Sunlight on the plastic breaks down the structure. The water contains those products, unless they are bound by biology or clay.
You can never completely escape your environment to an absolutely pure system.

There are 2 separate issues here. One is bottled water put in car trunk exposed to hot sun for a day and a separate concern is the water filter after the heater. In the latter. Why is there plastic floating in the water in the dam?

Let's focus to the main concern from now on. You always hear the advice never to put bottled water in car trunk exposed to the sun for a day. Is this an urban legend? Using "bottled water exposed sun" search strings at googles. I got hundreds of hits. The following is one example:

"A study done by the University of Florida found that if a plastic water bottle is exposed to long periods of heat, it can release bisphenol A (commonly abbreviated as BPA) and the chemical element antimony into the water. Researchers have suggested that BPA has been found to change hormone levels, lead to cardiovascular issues, and even increase the risk of some cancers. Introducing antimony into your system can lead to a range of gastrointestinal issues including diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach ulcers."

What is it that concerns you about the very small amount of BPA that might be present ?
Do you believe that progressive homeopathic dilution increases the effects of BPA ?

Let's not limit it to BPA or antimony. Is it not most bottled water use Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic. What really happens if PET is exposed to the sun with water inside. What would actually leech to the water after a day of exposure (i left the 15 pcs for a day only). And it is for consumption by a 4 month old infant (mixing with milk powder).

Secan said:
Why is there plastic floating in the water in the dam?
Because the wind blows plastic litter across the ground until it gets into the water, where it remains.

Antimony is only dangerous in massive quantities where it is processed. It is used in some medications. It is certainly not dangerous in the water from plastic water bottles. There is probably more antimony in green vegetables, along with the magnesium, lead, cadmium and mercury.

I believe you are allowing your fears to invert your reason. Do you really believe that progressive homeopathic dilution increases the effects on the body?

Likes jim mcnamara
Baluncore said:
If you have a sufficiently sensitive test, all water will be shown to contain BPA. It is probably easier to put the water through an activated charcoal filter than to analyse for BPA. What you do will depend on what you intend to do with the water, and your fears.BPA will enter the water before the heater. A sediment filter will not remove BPA.

Hmm.. in a normal bath without any salt addition, I wonder how much of the water get inside the skin? can this happen? I thought the skin is a barrier.

Secan said:
Hmm.. in a normal bath without any salt addition, I wonder how much of the water get inside the skin? can this happen? I thought the skin is a barrier.
Yes it does happen.
The concept of the skin as a barrier is valid for teaching purposes, but not perfect. Because the body contains salts, some pure water will move in through the skin due to osmotic pressure. A diffusion gradient is formed. Through that and other means, a human body develops about 1 psi of positive internal pressure, that opposes the osmotic flow. When you are cut, there is an outward flow of blood that prevents entry of infectious agents.
If you take a bath in pure water, your skin will absorb some water and swell. You will not absorb water if you swim in sea water, or water containing other dissolved salts. It all depends on your degree of hydration and the purity of the external water.

Patches are used to deliver some slow release medication through the skin. There are also electrical ways of biasing the osmotic pressure, to push a specific medication through the skin into the body.

Thousands of years ago, homeopathy meant taking small doses of poisons so the body would develop a resistance to those compounds. It did not work with large doses, or with cumulative poisons. Obviously dilution was essential, and more dilution of the poison was better.

New-age homeopathy twists that about to wrongly claim that as concentration is reduced towards infinite dilution, the effects of the compound being diluted become greater. If that claim was true, then increasing the levels of contamination would reduce the effects of that contamination, which is clearly irrational. The only things increased by infinite dilution are the dollar profits and the placebo effect.

You are concerned with the expense of buying bottled “pure water”.
Is there a “packed on” or “use by” date on the bottles you buy?
Absolute purity is expensive, unnecessary and unobtainable.
Your issue is not water contamination, but the psychology of heightened fear, uncertainty and doubt, caused by marketing misinformation, designed specifically to relieve you of more of your money.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
Nice reply by @Baluncore :smile:

Thread is locked temporarily for Moderation...

UPDATE -- Thread will remain closed. Thank you everyone for trying to help the OP.

Last edited:

Related to Detecting BPA in Bottled Water and Bath Filters

1. How is BPA detected in bottled water and bath filters?

BPA (bisphenol A) is typically detected through laboratory testing using specialized equipment and techniques. This involves collecting a sample of the water or filter and analyzing it for the presence of BPA molecules.

2. What is the acceptable level of BPA in bottled water and bath filters?

The acceptable level of BPA in bottled water and bath filters varies by country and regulatory agency. In the United States, the FDA has set a limit of 5 parts per billion (ppb) for BPA in bottled water. In the European Union, the limit is even lower at 0.6 ppb.

3. Can BPA be completely removed from bottled water and bath filters?

While there are methods to remove BPA from water, it is difficult to completely remove all traces of it. Some filtration systems may be able to reduce the amount of BPA, but it may not be completely eliminated.

4. What are the health effects of BPA in bottled water and bath filters?

BPA has been linked to potential health risks such as hormonal imbalances, reproductive issues, and developmental problems. However, the level of exposure from bottled water and bath filters is typically considered to be low and not a significant risk to most individuals.

5. Are there any alternatives to BPA in bottled water and bath filters?

Yes, there are alternatives to BPA that are commonly used in the production of bottled water and bath filters. These include BPS (bisphenol S) and BPF (bisphenol F). However, these alternatives may also have potential health risks and more research is needed to fully understand their effects.