A challenging capacitor problem

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution I tried to solve this problem in many ways. For instance, I tried writing the electric field intensity E and making use of the circulation theorem, supposing that the plates are mutually inducing the same surface charge distribution σ, but I got a weird result. I tried to write the potential of each plate as electric field intensity multiplied by the distance between the plates, but I did not get a satisfying result. I am clueless what to do next and I don't know what is wrong in my approach.In the future, please leave the template headings in the opening Post of a Thread. (I put them back in the quoted text immediately above.)
Klaus von Faust
1. Two identical flat plate capacitors are inserted in each other. First, none of the plates was charged, but then they have been connected to sources of current, keeping the constant voltage ## V_1 ## and ##V_2 ##. Find the potential difference between inner plates, which are kept at the distance a one to another. The distance between the capacitor plates is d.

2. ## -gradφ=E ##
## E=\frac σ ε_0 ##
##∫Edl=0## (over a closed loop)3. I tried to solve this problem in many ways. For instance, I tried writing the electric field intensity E and making use of the circulation theorem, supposing that the plates are mutually inducing the same surface charge distribution σ, but I got a weird result. I tried to write the potential of each plate as electric field intensity multiplied by the distance between the plates, but I did not get a satisfying result. I am clueless what to do next and I don't know what is wrong in my approach.

Attachments

• 51927932_2252710261614064_1539607722482204672_n.jpg
    51927932_2252710261614064_1539607722482204672_n.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
Klaus von Faust said:
... then they have been connected to sources of current, ...
You mean "sources of constant voltage", no?

I am not sure you should be worried about induced charges. The job of a voltage source is to keep the potential difference (voltage) across its terminals constant and the plates are equipotentials. What is the potential difference between the two plates at the very bottom that are separated by distance ##d-a##?

Likes Klaus von Faust
kuruman said:
You mean "sources of constant voltage", no?

I am not sure you should be worried about induced charges. The job of a voltage source is to keep the potential difference (voltage) across its terminals constant and the plates are equipotentials. What is the potential difference between the two plates at the very bottom that are separated by distance ##d-a##?
If I suppose that the third and the fourth plate have a different surface charge distribution, then ##Δφ = \frac {(σ_4+σ_3)(d-a)} { 2 ε_0} ##

Klaus von Faust said:

Homework Statement

. Two identical flat plate capacitors are inserted in each other. First, none of the plates was charged, but then they have been connected to sources of current, keeping the constant voltage ## V_1 ## and ##V_2 ##. Find the potential difference between inner plates, which are kept at the distance a one to another. The distance between the capacitor plates is d.

Homework Equations

## -grad φ=E ##
## E=\frac σ ε_0 ##
##∫Edl=0## (over a closed loop)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this problem in many ways. For instance, I tried writing the electric field intensity E and making use of the circulation theorem, supposing that the plates are mutually inducing the same surface charge distribution σ, but I got a weird result. I tried to write the potential of each plate as electric field intensity multiplied by the distance between the plates, but I did not get a satisfying result. I am clueless what to do next and I don't know what is wrong in my approach.
In the future, please leave the template headings in the opening Post of a Thread. (I put them back in the quoted text immediately above.)

Thanks for uploading your image. It's helpful to see the full-size image. Here's yours:

Click the FULL IMAGE button when you upload an image.

I also applaud you for using LaTeX .
Here are a few hints to improve the LaTeX you displayed.

The " \ " (backslash) is the LaTeX escape character. Those Greek characters are best obtained by using \sigma , \varphi and \varepsilon .

To include more than one character in a numerator, denominator, subscript or superscript, enclose the desired characters in braces { } : as in \frac \sigma {\varepsilon_0} .

I have repeated (some of) your equations below with the LaTeX code exposed for each.

## -grad φ=E ##
## - \nabla \varphi = \vec E \ \quad \quad ## ## - \nabla \varphi = \vec E ##
## E=\frac σ ε_0 ##
## E = \frac \sigma {\varepsilon_0} \quad \quad ## ## E = \frac \sigma {\varepsilon_0} ##​
##∫Edl=0## (over a closed loop)
## \oint \vec E \cdot d \vec{l} = 0 \quad \quad ## ## \oint \vec E \cdot d \vec{l} = 0 ##​

Attachments

• 51927932_2252710261614064_1539607722482204672_n.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Likes Klaus von Faust
I'm not totally sure I understand the configuration. But the way I presently understand it, the physical configuration is as in the figure below,

Merged_caps.png

where [itex] V_a [/itex] is the electric potential that we are looking for. But I've pretty much convinced myself that unless there's some additional constraint that I'm missing, or unless I'm not understanding the problem in some other way, that there is not a unique solution to this problem.

[Edit: an example of an "additional constraint" might be something like [itex] V_1 [/itex] and [itex] V_2 [/itex] sharing a common ground, or anything of that nature. But the way it is now (as I presently understand the problem), [itex] V_a [/itex] is unconstrained.]

[Second edit: see my next post. I think there is a way out of this.]

Attachments

• Merged_caps.png
    Merged_caps.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
I think there is a way out of this. I think it comes down to the part of the problem statement that says, "First, none of the plates was charged, but then they have been connected to sources of current, ..."

I think from that, we can take that initially all plates were equipotential. And after that point on we can infer that the only variations were changing charge distributions differentially on plates of a given capacitor, but not between the two capacitors (i.e., not overall from one capacitor to another). That should be enough to solve this problem.

collinsmark said:
we can take that initially all plates were equipotential.
Yes, I think it is safe to assume that when interleaved the first and third plates have equal and opposite charge, likewise second and fourth.
I got a solution on that basis, but I had a lot of variables: a self-potential at each plate (these all cancel out) and an actual potential at each plate, as well as the two independent per plate charges.

Likes collinsmark
collinsmark said:
I'm not totally sure I understand the configuration. But the way I presently understand it, the physical configuration is as in the figure below,

View attachment 238774

where [itex] V_a [/itex] is the electric potential that we are looking for. But I've pretty much convinced myself that unless there's some additional constraint that I'm missing, or unless I'm not understanding the problem in some other way, that there is not a unique solution to this problem.

[Edit: an example of an "additional constraint" might be something like [itex] V_1 [/itex] and [itex] V_2 [/itex] sharing a common ground, or anything of that nature. But the way it is now (as I presently understand the problem), [itex] V_a [/itex] is unconstrained.]

[Second edit: see my next post. I think there is a way out of this.]
Yes, there is nothing more stated in the problem. I think the author of the problem meant that initially, the switch was open. Honestly, I don't understand what do you mean by
collinsmark said:
the only variations were changing charge distributions differentially on plates of a given capacitor, but not between the two capacitors
Aren't the capacitor plates supposed to induce the same charges on each plate? Is the field between the plates homogenous? Because if it should be, then the surface charge distributions have to be the same on each plate.(in order the field lines to be equidistant)

Klaus von Faust said:
Aren't the capacitor plates supposed to induce the same charges on each plate?
Yes, you can assume the two plates of a given capacitor have equal and opposite charge.
Klaus von Faust said:
the surface charge distributions have to be the same on each plate.(in order the field lines to be equidistant)
The same for the two plates of a given capacitor, yes, but the two capacitors can have different distributions. The field lines can continue through one plate to the next if necessary.

Did you try the approach I outlined in post #7?

Last edited:
Likes Klaus von Faust
haruspex said:
Yes, you can assume the two plates of a given capacitor have equal and opposite charge.

The same for the two plates of a given capacitor, yes, but tge two capacitors can have different distributions. The field lines can continue through one plate to the next if necessary.

Did you try the approach I outlined in post #7?
Yes, and I got the right result. I will write it a little bit later, but I used the superposition of the electric fields and the facts you outlined. Thank you for your help

Likes collinsmark and Delta2
Klaus von Faust said:
Yes, and I got the right result. I will write it a little bit later, but I used the superposition of the electric fields and the facts you outlined. Thank you for your help
Superposition of electric field looks promising to me.

Likes Klaus von Faust
The inner plates of the two capacitors A(red) an B(blue) can be split, and then we have a chain of three capacitors, C1, C2, C3, with charges q1, q2, q3. The two plates of each original capacitors have equal and opposite charges, as @haruspex suggested, (QA and -QA, QB and -QB) which are distributed between the virtual plates of the new capacitors. See figure.
upload_2019-2-15_16-57-46.png

We can write up the loop equations and also the relation for the charges:

U1-q1/C1-q3/C3=0
U2-q3/C3-q2/C2=0 (Edited)
q3-q2-q1=0
The system of equation is easy to solve.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-15_16-57-46.png
    upload_2019-2-15_16-57-46.png
    14 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Likes SammyS, Klystron, Klaus von Faust and 1 other person
haruspex said:
Isn't that a result of charge conservation? Since the capacitors are connected each to its own voltage source and are initially uncharged, whatever number of electrons accumulates on one plate has to come from the other.

Likes Klaus von Faust
kuruman said:
Isn't that a result of charge conservation? Since the capacitors are connected each to its own voltage source and are initially uncharged, whatever number of electrons accumulates on one plate has to come from the other.
I agree but we also have to state the assumption that the sources cannot store charge inside them.

@ehild, do you care to give a brief explanation of why the two circuits you display are equivalent? I don't understand your intuition behind it, how come you thought of introducing a third new capacitor?

Likes Klaus von Faust
I solved the problem, it turned out to be a relatively simple one, yet challenging from the conceptual point of view.
I think that the core idea required for solving this problem lies in the fact that, on the one hand, the electric field between the plates depends on the charges of the plates. Secondary, the field between the plates determines the potential difference. These conditions make up a system of equations.
Let the charge accumulated on the very last plate be ##Q_1##, and on the previous plate ##Q_2##. Exploiting the restraint that the plates were initially uncharged, and the voltage sources only redistribute the charge, on the next 2 plates(I am counting from the last plate to the first one) there will be ##-Q_1## and ##-Q_2##. Then I make use of the superposition principle to calculate the electric field between the plates, in three hollow regions.
Therefore, for the projections of the electric field intensity between the plates I wrote
## E_1= \frac {Q_1} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_2} {2S\varepsilon_0}-\frac {Q_1} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_2} {2S\varepsilon_0}=\frac {Q_2} {S\varepsilon_0}##
##E_2=\frac {Q_1} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_2} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_1} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_2} {2S\varepsilon_0}=\frac {Q_1+Q_2} {S\varepsilon_0}##
##E_3=\frac {Q_1} {2S\varepsilon_0}-\frac {Q_2} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_1} {2S\varepsilon_0}+\frac {Q_2} {2S\varepsilon_0}=\frac {Q_1} {S\varepsilon_0}##
Expressing the potential difference
##V_2=E_3(d-a)+E_2 a##
##V_1=E_1(d-a)+E_2 a##
##V=E_2 a##
Solving this system of equations I got
##V=(V_1+V_2)\frac {a} {d+a}##

Likes ehild
Delta2 said:
@ehild, do you care to give a brief explanation of why the two circuits you display are equivalent? I don't understand your intuition behind it, how come you thought of introducing a third new capacitor?

You have four parallel plates of the same area and certain distances between each pair of plates. Is not it three capacitors connected? It will be the same three capacitors if you split each plate and connect the parts with a short wire: The pairs will be equipotential with the original plate.
upload_2019-2-15_19-13-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-15_19-10-31.png
    upload_2019-2-15_19-10-31.png
    104 bytes · Views: 420
  • upload_2019-2-15_19-13-3.png
    upload_2019-2-15_19-13-3.png
    995 bytes · Views: 496
Likes SammyS
Klaus von Faust said:
Solving this system of equations I got
##V=(V_1+V_2)\frac {a} {d+a}##
Very nice solution!

ehild said:
Very nice solution!
Yours is elegant as well.

Likes Klystron
In keeping with the original poster's avatar and screen name, the latter circuit diagrams are reminiscent of historical (pre-20th) electrical storage systems. From wikipedia:

"Battery, 18th and 19th century term for a number of capacitors or Leyden jars ..."
"Its invention was a discovery made independently by German cleric Ewald Georg von Kleist..."

Likes Klaus von Faust
Klystron said:
In keeping with the original poster's avatar and screen name, the latter circuit diagrams are reminiscent of historical (pre-20th) electrical storage systems. From wikipedia:

"Battery, 18th and 19th century term for a number of capacitors or Leyden jars ..."
"Its invention was a discovery made independently by German cleric Ewald Georg von Kleist..."
Ironic coincidence, indeed.

Worked out the math in @ehild solution and it turns out it gives the same answer as post #15. I used ##C_1=C_2=\epsilon_0\frac{S}{a}## and ##C_3=\epsilon_0\frac{S}{d-a}##. Then I solved not for each charge ##q_i## but for the voltage ##V_3=\frac{q_3}{C_3}## which I believe is the requested voltage.

Interesting that the math work out but to be honest I still can't understand clearly why the two circuits are equivalent...

Likes SammyS
Delta2 said:
Worked out the math in @ehild solution and it turns out it gives the same answer as post #15. I used ##C_1=C_2=\epsilon_0\frac{S}{a}## and ##C_3=\epsilon_0\frac{S}{d-a}##. Then I solved not for each charge ##q_i## but for the voltage ##V_3=\frac{q_3}{C_3}## which I believe is the requested voltage..
Yes, it is correct solution.
Delta2 said:
Interesting that the math work out but to be honest I still can't understand clearly why the two circuits are equivalent...
An equipotential plane can be replaced with a thin conducting plate. Then surface charge builds up on both surfaces, according to the electric field.
upload_2019-2-16_7-24-49.png

In case of the capacitors in the problem, each plate have some surface charge on both sides. Splitting the plate, the new plates have charge according to these surface charges.
The method is also applied with such problems "fill a parallel plate capacitor half to the distance between the plates with some dielectric. What is the new capacitance? " Here we replace the capacitor with two connected ones, one with dielectric, then other without it.
upload_2019-2-16_7-35-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-16_7-24-49.png
    upload_2019-2-16_7-24-49.png
    974 bytes · Views: 401
  • upload_2019-2-16_7-35-46.png
    upload_2019-2-16_7-35-46.png
    640 bytes · Views: 394
Likes Klystron and Delta2

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is typically made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric.

2. What makes the capacitor problem challenging?

The capacitor problem is challenging because it involves complex calculations and analysis to determine the behavior and characteristics of a capacitor in a given circuit. It may also involve considering various factors such as dielectric materials, capacitance, voltage, and frequency.

3. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the potential difference between the two plates. It can also be calculated by multiplying the permittivity of the dielectric material by the area of the plates and dividing by the distance between them.

4. What are some real-world applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in various industries such as electronics, telecommunications, power systems, and many more. They are commonly used in circuits to filter out unwanted noise, regulate power supply, and store energy for short bursts.

5. How can I solve a challenging capacitor problem?

To solve a challenging capacitor problem, you will need to have a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of capacitance and be familiar with the different types of capacitors and their characteristics. You may also need to use various equations and circuit analysis techniques to determine the values of capacitance, voltage, charge, and other parameters in the given problem.