Determinant and trace of matrix ( HELP)

In summary: You would use the same technique to find the eigenvalues of A as you did to find 6. However, you would need to use the determinant of A-6I.
andrey21
FInd the determinant of the following matrix?

4,-4,-8
-2, 2, 6
0, 0,-1

Heres my attempt

4.(2x(-1)- 6x0) -(-4).((-2)x(-1) - 6x0) +(-8).((-2)x0-2x0)

which goves:

4.(-2)+4(2) -8 = 0

is this correct??

Im also asked to find the trace? What is this and how do i find it?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. However, it could have been done easier if you had take the third row to calculate the determinant. Then you would see immediately that the determinant is (-1)(4.2-(-2)(-4))=0.

The trace is simply the sum of the diagonal elements.

Ah ok Thanks micromass. For the trace I obtained:

4+2-1 = 5 Which is simple enough.

Now I am asked to show that 6 is an eigenvalue of the matrix. How would I go about doing that? This is a new topic for me so I am struggling a little. Thnks

What do you know about eigenvalues? Do you know what the characteristic polynomial is?

Not much at the moment I am afraid? I don't know what the characteristic polynomial is??

Then you'll just have to do it the hard way. Let A be our matrix. You'll need to show that there exists a vector x such that Ax=6x. This is equivalent to saying that (A-6I)x=0. Thus you must show that the system (A-6I)x=0 has a non-zero solution...

Ok so by I u mean an identity matrix??

Yes, I is the identity matrix!

So I have to basically subtract an identity matrix of:

as it is 6I from my matrix??

Im I on the rite track?

Yes, substract those two matrices, and then solve the associated system of equations...

ok from that I get the matrix:

-2,-4,-8
-2,-4, 6
0, 0,-7

using previous determinant method I obtain:

-2(28) + 4(14) -8(0)

= 0

is this correct??

Yes, this is correct. So, what does a determinant 0 tell you?

Erm that there exists a non zero solution?

Yes, so you have shown that 6 is an eigenvalue!

Brilliant thanks micromass. Just another question say I am asked to find the eigen value of the following matrix:

Do I simply do (A-lambda I) = det (2-Lambda 1
1 1-Lambba)

giving me:

(lambda)^2 -4(Lambda) +3 = 0

lambda = 1 lambda = 3

which are the eigenvalues?

Yes, that is correct. In fact, the polynomial [tex]\lambda^2-4\lambda+3[/tex] is called the characteristic polynomial. It seems that you came up with that concept by yourself! :smile:

Haha ok thanks micromass.

I have one final question micromass, using the fact 6 is an eigenvalue and the determinant how would I find the remaining eigenvalues?

Related to Determinant and trace of matrix ( HELP)

What is the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a scalar value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is denoted by det(A) or |A| and is used to determine several properties of a matrix, such as invertibility and solutions to systems of linear equations.

How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as cofactor expansion, row reduction, or using properties of determinants. The most common method is cofactor expansion, where the determinant is calculated by recursively expanding the matrix into smaller matrices until reaching a 2x2 matrix, for which the determinant can be easily calculated.

What is the trace of a matrix?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements. It is denoted by tr(A) and is a measure of the sum of all the eigenvalues of a matrix. The trace of a matrix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

How is the trace of a matrix calculated?

The trace of a matrix can be calculated by simply adding up the diagonal elements of the matrix. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as the sum of the eigenvalues of the matrix. The trace of a matrix remains the same, regardless of the order in which the diagonal elements are added.

What are the applications of determinant and trace of a matrix?

The determinant and trace of a matrix have various applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, determine the invertibility of a matrix, and calculate the eigenvalues of a matrix. In physics, the determinant and trace of matrices are used in fields such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. In statistics, they are used in multivariate analysis and principal component analysis.