Determinant using gaussian elimination

In summary, to find the determinant of the given matrix using Gaussian elimination, we use the following steps: 1) Subtract the third row from the first row 2) Multiply the third row by 1/3 3) Subtract the first row from the second and third rows 4) Multiply the second row by 1/13 5) Subtract 9 times the second row from the third row The resulting matrix will have a determinant of -165, which is the correct answer.
brunette15
I am attempting to find the determinant using gaussian elimination for the following matrix [4 3 2; 1 7 8; 3 9 3].
I have begun by attempting to form zeros below the diagonal. The answer should be -165, however i keep getting values up to -665. I have tried a variety of times and keep getting really big numbers :/

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
I am attempting to find the determinant using gaussian elimination for the following matrix [4 3 2; 1 7 8; 3 9 3].
I have begun by attempting to form zeros below the diagonal. The answer should be -165, however i keep getting values up to -665. I have tried a variety of times and keep getting really big numbers :/

Your matrix is [4 3 2; 1 7 8; 3 9 3]...

a) divide the first row by 4 and subtract it fron the second row obtaining [4 3 2; 0 25/4 15/2; 3 9 3]...

b) multiply the first row by 3/4 and subtract it from the third row obtaining [4 3 2; 0 25/4 15/2; 0 27/4 3/2]...

c) multiply the second row by 27/4 and subtract it from the third row obtaining [4 3 2; 0 25/4 15/2; 0 0 -33/5]...

d) the determinant is d= 4 25/4 (- 33/5) = - 165...

kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Hello, brunette15!

Find the determinant using Gaussian elimination: .[tex] \begin{vmatrix} 4&3&2 \\ 1&7&8 \\ 3&9&3 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]

I have begun by attempting to form zeros below the diagonal.
The answer should be -165; however, i keep getting values up to -665.
I have tried a variety of times and keep getting really big numbers.

If you show us your attempts, we can point out your errors.

[tex]\;\;\begin{array}{c}\text{Given:}\end{array} \;\begin{vmatrix} 4&3&2 \\ 1&7&8 \\ 3&9&3 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{c}R_1-R_3 \\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}1&\text{-}6&\text{-}1 \\ 1&7&8 \\ 3&9&3 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\;\;\;\;\;\begin{array}{c}\\ \\ \frac{1}{3}R_3 \end{array} \; \begin{vmatrix} 1&\text{-}6&\text{-}1 \\ 1&7&8 \\ 1&3&1 \end{vmatrix}\;\cdot\;(3) [/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{c}\\ R_2-R_1 \\ R_3-R_1 \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}1&\text{-}6&\text{-}1 \\ 0&13&9 \\ 0&9&2\end{vmatrix}\;\cdot\;(3) [/tex]

[tex]\;\;\;\;\begin{array}{c}\\ \frac{1}{13}R_2 \\ \\ \end{array} \;\begin{vmatrix} 1&\text{-}6&\text{-}1 \\ 0&1&\frac{9}{13}\\0&9&2 \end{vmatrix}\;\cdot(3)\cdot(13) [/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{c}\\ \\ R_3-9R_2\end{array} \; \begin{vmatrix} 1&\text{-}6&\text{-}1 \\ 0&1&\frac{9}{13} \\ 0&0&\text{-}\frac{55}{13}\end{vmatrix}\;\cdot (3)\cdot(13) [/tex][tex]\;\;(1)(1)(\text{-}\tfrac{55}{13})\cdot (3)(13) \;=\; -165[/tex]

1. What is gaussian elimination?

Gaussian elimination is a mathematical method used to solve a system of linear equations by transforming the system into an equivalent triangular system, making it easier to solve. It involves using elementary row operations such as multiplying a row by a constant or adding a multiple of one row to another.

2. How is gaussian elimination used to find the determinant of a matrix?

Gaussian elimination can be used to find the determinant of a matrix by transforming the matrix into an upper triangular matrix. The determinant of an upper triangular matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal elements. Therefore, the determinant of the original matrix can be found by multiplying the diagonal elements of the upper triangular matrix obtained through gaussian elimination.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in gaussian elimination?

The determinant is used in gaussian elimination as a way to check for solutions to a system of linear equations. If the determinant of the coefficient matrix is equal to zero, it means that the system has either no solution or infinite solutions. If the determinant is non-zero, then the system has a unique solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using gaussian elimination to find the determinant?

Yes, there are limitations to using gaussian elimination to find the determinant. It can only be used for square matrices, meaning the number of rows and columns must be equal. Additionally, if the determinant of the matrix is very small or very large, it can lead to computational errors.

5. Can gaussian elimination be used to find the determinant of a matrix with complex numbers?

Yes, gaussian elimination can be used to find the determinant of a matrix with complex numbers. The same steps of transforming the matrix into an upper triangular matrix and multiplying the diagonal elements can be applied. The only difference is that complex numbers may be involved in the calculations.