Determination of coefficient of friction between two spherical particles

In summary, the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles is a measure of resistance to motion and can be determined through experimental methods. Various factors can affect this coefficient, and it is important to determine it in order to understand and predict system behavior. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering surface properties, pressure, or introducing lubricants or additives.
snow
I have some very small spherical particles with diameter of 1 mm and i would like to know coefficient of friction between them. Can anyone suggest an experiment/device that would help me?

In order to get friction between a plate and particle i can use tilt test and measure the angle at which a group of connected particles slips.

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe glue a bunch on piece of paper then slide them down a plane made of that material , and use the tilt test like you said.

Related to Determination of coefficient of friction between two spherical particles

1. What is the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles?

The coefficient of friction between two spherical particles is a measure of the resistance to motion between the two particles when they are in contact.

2. How is the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles determined?

The coefficient of friction between two spherical particles can be determined through experimental methods, such as using a tribometer, to measure the force required to move one particle over the other.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles?

The coefficient of friction between two spherical particles can be affected by various factors, including the materials of the particles, the surface roughness, the pressure applied, and the presence of lubricants or contaminants.

4. Why is it important to determine the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles?

Determining the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems, such as powders, granular materials, and industrial processes involving particle interactions.

5. Can the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction between two spherical particles can be changed by altering the surface properties of the particles, adjusting the pressure between them, or introducing lubricants or other additives to reduce friction.