Determine if the non-linear set of equations has unique solution

In summary, the set of equations given does not have a unique solution in any n-hood of the origin, as shown by a counterexample using the function F and the fact that no matter how small epsilon is chosen, there will always be a point (epsilon, -epsilon, 0) that satisfies the system of equations.
lep11

Homework Statement

Determine if the following set of equations has unique solution of the form ##g(z)=(x,y)## in the n-hood of the origin. $$\begin{cases} xyz+\sin(xyz)=0 \\ x+y+z=0 \end{cases}$$

Homework Equations

I assume I am supposed to use the implicit function theorem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_function_theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's consider function ##F:ℝ^3\rightarrow ℝ^2, F(x,y,z)=(xyz+\sin(xyz),x+y+z).## Now ##F(0,0,0)=(0,0)## and ##F\in{C^{1}}## but the Jacobian of ##F## at the origin is: ##
J_f(0)=[Df(0)]=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 1 &1
\end{bmatrix},## which implies that ##[Df(0)]## is not surjective, thus the implicit function theorem doesn't apply directly. I think the next step is to define another function such that we can apply the implicit function theorem to that and maybe find a solution which uniqueness is guaranteed by the theorem. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:
Am I on the right track?
No, I don't think so. Read the question carefully:
lep11 said:
Determine if

Last edited by a moderator:
Krylov said:
No, I don't think so. Read the question carefully:
O.k. How would one proceed in this case? Should I construct a counterexample?

lep11 said:
O.k. How would one proceed in this case? Should I construct a counterexample?
If the answer to the question in the problem were positive, there would exist ##\epsilon > 0## and a function ##g : (-\epsilon,+\epsilon) \times (-\epsilon,+\epsilon) \to \mathbb{R}## such that for all ##x,y \in (-\epsilon,+\epsilon)## the triple ##(x,y,z) = (x,y, g(x,y))## satisfies the system of equations.

Please make sure you understand why this is.

It follows from the system of equations that such a function cannot exist, no matter how small you choose ##\epsilon > 0## to be. It is up to you to explain why this is. (You do not need any theorems for this.)

I think I got the right intuition, but I am not sure if this counterexample is rigorious enough.

If we consider the function ##F##, we notice that ##F(\epsilon,-\epsilon,0)=(0,0)## ##∀\epsilon>0##.
Because we can choose ##\epsilon## to be arbitrarily small, ##\nexists{R>0}## such that n-hood of the origin ##B(0,R)## would contain a unique solution ##(x,y,z)## such that ##F(x,y,z)=0##. Thus the set of equations doesn't have a unique solution in any n-hood of the origin.

Last edited:
Could someone please verify if I got it right?

1. What is a non-linear set of equations?

A non-linear set of equations is a system of equations where the variables are raised to powers other than 1. This means that the equations cannot be simplified into a linear form, where the variables are only raised to the power of 1.

2. How can I determine if a non-linear set of equations has a unique solution?

To determine if a non-linear set of equations has a unique solution, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve solving the equations to find the intersection point(s) and checking if there is only one solution.

3. Can a non-linear set of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a non-linear set of equations can have more than one solution. This can happen when the equations have multiple intersection points or when the equations are equivalent (meaning they represent the same line).

4. What does it mean if a non-linear set of equations has no solution?

If a non-linear set of equations has no solution, it means that the equations do not intersect and therefore, there is no value that satisfies all the equations simultaneously. This could be because the equations are parallel or do not represent the same line.

5. Are there any special cases where a non-linear set of equations may have a unique solution?

Yes, there are some special cases where a non-linear set of equations may have a unique solution. For example, when the equations are in the form of a quadratic (with only one variable raised to the power of 2) and the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is equal to 0, the equations will have one real solution, making it a unique solution.