Determine Monotonicity and Boundedness of Sequence an = 2 - (3/n)

• Thread starter whatlifeforme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounded
In summary: What you mean is that if you find a function that increases the sequence, then the sequence is increasing.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

Determine if the sequence is Monotonic and Bounded.

Homework Equations

an = 2 - (3/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

Depending on the domain: Ex: a1, a2, a3 ... n=1 ; n=2 it would be bounded by [1,2]

however, if we have negative n values and values as fractions we have no bounds and it can be increasing or decreasing.

2 - (3/n) n=1,2,3 (range = 1 to 2)
2 - (3/n) n=-1/10, -1/100, -1/600... (range = +∞)
2 - (3/n) n=1/10, 1/100, 1/600... (range = -∞)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a sequence, if nothing else is specified n is limited to the natural numbers.

for the bounds would it be: [-1,2) or [-1,2] ??

Both are intervals which bound the sequence, the first one is a bit better than the second one.
[-2,2] or similar is fine, too - you just have to determine that it is bounded.

whatlifeforme said:
for the bounds would it be: [-1,2) or [-1,2] ??

That is an interval, not a bound. A bound consists of one number.

For example, an upper bound is just a number that is larger or equal than every element of the sequence. So for the sequence 0,1,0,1,0,1,... we can say that an upper bound is given by 100. This is not the best upper bound however. The best upper bound is 1. This is the lower possible upper bound and it has a special name: a supremum.

So, if I were to prove that 0,1,0,1,0,1,... is bounded. I would need to find an upper bound and a lower bound. I could say that an upper bound is given by 1 (or a higher number) and that a lower bound is given by 0 (or a lower number).

also this sequence is increasing, correct?

as n->inf an goes from -1 to 2.

also, derivative is positive: f'(n) = 3/n^2 > 0

Yes, the sequence is increasing.

whatlifeforme said:
also, derivative is positive: f'(n) = 3/n^2 > 0

Watch out. The derivative of a sequence doesn't make any sense. A derivative is only defined for functions (on a suitable domain of definition). So if you take a sequence ##f(n) = 2- 3/n##, then it doesn't make any sense to talk about the derivative.

What you want to say is to take the following function ##f:\mathbb{R}^+\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow 2-3/n##. This function agrees with the sequence in the sense that ##f(n) = a_n##. The crucial point is that the function is now defined on entire ##\mathbb{R}^+##. Thus the derivative is something that makes sense.

micromass said:
Yes, the sequence is increasing.

Watch out. The derivative of a sequence doesn't make any sense. A derivative is only defined for functions (on a suitable domain of definition). So if you take a sequence ##f(n) = 2- 3/n##, then it doesn't make any sense to talk about the derivative.

What you want to say is to take the following function ##f:\mathbb{R}^+\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow 2-3/n##. This function agrees with the sequence in the sense that ##f(n) = a_n##. The crucial point is that the function is now defined on entire ##\mathbb{R}^+##. Thus the derivative is something that makes sense.

so should i just say that the sequence is represented in terms of a function f(x) then set f(x) = 2-3/x

then take the derivative as you mentioned. or should i just not take the derivative at all; then how do i prove it is increasing?

whatlifeforme said:
so should i just say that the sequence is represented in terms of a function f(x) then set f(x) = 2-3/x

then take the derivative as you mentioned. or should i just not take the derivative at all; then how do i prove it is increasing?

Taking the derivative is fine. But you should watch out with differentiating a sequence, that doesn't make any sense. You should say that there is a function ##f(x)=2-3/x## such that ##f(n) = a_n## for all natural numbers ##n##.

There are other such functions however! For example, take ##f(x) = (2 - 3x)\cos(2\pi x)##. This function is not increasing, but it does coincide with ##a_n## for natural numbers ##n##. But it is not because this function is not increasing, that the original sequence is not increasing. However, it is true that if you can find an increasing function that extends the sequence, then the original sequence is increasing.

micromass said:
Taking the derivative is fine. But you should watch out with differentiating a sequence, that doesn't make any sense. You should say that there is a function ##f(x)=2-3/x## such that ##f(n) = a_n## for all natural numbers ##n##.

There are other such functions however! For example, take ##f(x) = (2 - 3x)\cos(2\pi x)##. This function is not increasing, but it does coincide with ##a_n## for natural numbers ##n##. But it is not because this function is not increasing, that the original sequence is not increasing. However, it is true that if you can find an increasing function that extends the sequence, then the original sequence is increasing.

what do you mean by "extends the sequence." ?

would f(x) = 2 - 3/x work?

It extends the definition from the natural to the (positive) real numbers.
Yes, it would work.

whatlifeforme said:
or should i just not take the derivative at all; then how do i prove it is increasing?

I would show [tex]a_{n+1}-a_{n}>0[/tex] for all n which is pretty obvious in your case.

What is Monotonic and Bounded?

Monotonic and Bounded refers to a type of function or sequence that either always increases or always decreases, and is limited to a specific range of values.

What is the difference between monotonic and bounded?

The main difference between monotonic and bounded is that monotonic refers to the trend or behavior of a function, while bounded refers to the specific values or range that the function is limited to.

What are some examples of monotonic and bounded functions?

Examples of monotonic and bounded functions include the logarithmic function, which always increases and is limited to positive values, and the exponential function, which always increases and is limited to positive values.

How can you determine if a function is monotonic and bounded?

To determine if a function is monotonic, you can calculate the first derivative and see if it is always positive or always negative. To determine if a function is bounded, you can analyze the domain and range of the function to see if it is limited to a specific range of values.

Why is it important to understand monotonic and bounded functions?

Understanding monotonic and bounded functions is important for many applications in mathematics and science. For example, in calculus, monotonic functions are used to analyze the behavior of a function, and bounded functions help to determine the area under a curve. In physics, monotonic and bounded functions are used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about future behavior.