Determine % of Water & Glycol in Mixture from Density & Temp

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture, given the density of the mixture and the temperature. The attempt at a solution involves using the density equation and setting up equations for the percentages of each component. However, it is noted that this may not always be accurate and the use of a density table is the most reliable method.
2slowtogofast

Homework Statement

I know the density of a mixture of water and glycol. I will call that dmix. I need to find the percentage of water and the percentage of glycol in the mixture. The only other thing I know is the temp.

Homework Equations

d=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

What am unsure of is the following true

Let x = %glycol
Let 1-x = %water

dmix = (x)dglycol + (1-x)dwater

Physics news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:

Homework Statement

I know the density of a mixture of water and glycol. I will call that dmix. I need to find the percentage of water and the percentage of glycol in the mixture. The only other thing I know is the temp.

Homework Equations

d=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

What am unsure of is the following true

Let x = %glycol
Let 1-x = %water

dmix = (x)dglycol + (1-x)dwater

Yes, it's true. Since you have the temperature of the mixture, you can look up the densities of each component at the appropriate temperature. Then proceed.

good. Thanks

It is NOT true. Volumes are not additive.

For some substances - ethylene glycol included - it works quite good, but it doesn't in general. SO each time you should check if the density vs composition curve is linear - or not.

Ok I though it might not be true. So is there another way this calc can be done with the given info?

Density table is the only sure way to go. That's how my works. Unfortunately, density table for ethylene glycol that is built into the program is limited to 60% w/w. It can be easily extended if you can find a better density table.

Related to Determine % of Water & Glycol in Mixture from Density & Temp

1. How do you determine the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture from density and temperature?

The percentage of water and glycol in a mixture can be determined by using a density-temperature chart specific to the mixture. The chart plots the density of the mixture at different temperatures, allowing you to identify the exact percentage of water and glycol based on the measured density and temperature of the mixture.

2. What is the relationship between density, temperature, and the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture?

The density of a mixture is directly affected by the percentage of water and glycol present in the mixture. As the temperature changes, the density of the mixture also changes, allowing you to determine the percentage of water and glycol based on the measured density and temperature.

3. Can the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture be determined without using a density-temperature chart?

No, the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture cannot be accurately determined without using a density-temperature chart. This chart provides the necessary data points to calculate the percentage of water and glycol based on the measured density and temperature of the mixture.

4. Are there any other methods to determine the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture?

Yes, there are other methods to determine the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture, such as using a refractometer or conducting a distillation test. However, these methods may not be as accurate as using a density-temperature chart.

5. Why is it important to know the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture?

Knowing the percentage of water and glycol in a mixture is important for various applications, such as in the automotive industry for coolant and antifreeze solutions. It allows for proper maintenance and performance of equipment, as well as ensuring the safety and efficiency of the mixture.