Mass of one component in two component w/feed flowrate

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of Triethylene Glycol (TEG) needed for a feed flowrate of 70,000 gallons per day with a weight percent of 35%. After some trial and error, the correct calculation is 70,000 gal/day * 0.35 * (0.0378 mL/1 gal) * 1.255 g/mL = g of TEG. The initial attempt made some errors in unit conversions and omitted the time frame of "day," but was later corrected.
BigJon

Homework Statement

Basically I'm given a feed flowrate - 70,000 gal/day
I know the weight percent is 35% and the component is Triethylene Glycol - density - 1.255g/ml

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i did this

70,000 gal/day * .35 * (.0378mL/1gal)* 1.255g/mL = g of Triethylene Glycol

Is this correct, i know the gal->mL might be wrong but is the basic setup correct using wt%?

Physics news on Phys.org
You soft of have the right idea. But, "gal->mL might be wrong" is a gross understatement. Do you really think that 1/30 of a ml is the same as one gallon (1 gallon is close to 4 liters)? And the units of your answer are incorrect. What happened to "day."

Chet

Thanks! yeah, i knew it wasnt right the gal->mL i was just short on time and yeah i left off days, because i was going to convert it later to hours since I am comparing it to some charts for a lab report

What is the significance of the mass of one component in a two component system with feed flowrate?

The mass of one component in a two component system with feed flowrate is an important factor in determining the overall composition and behavior of the system. It can affect the reaction kinetics, equilibrium conditions, and product yield.

How is the mass of one component calculated in a two component system with feed flowrate?

The mass of one component can be calculated by multiplying the feed flowrate of that component by the time of the reaction. This will give the total amount of that component that has entered the system. To determine the mass at any point in the reaction, the amount of that component that has been consumed or produced must be subtracted or added, respectively.

What is the relationship between the mass of one component and the feed flowrate in a two component system?

The mass of one component is directly proportional to the feed flowrate in a two component system. This means that as the feed flowrate increases, the mass of that component will also increase, and vice versa. However, the exact relationship between the two may vary depending on the specific system and reaction.

How does the mass of one component affect the overall mass balance in a two component system with feed flowrate?

The mass of one component is a crucial part of the mass balance in a two component system with feed flowrate. It must be accounted for in order to accurately determine the mass of the other component and ensure that the overall mass balance is maintained. Any discrepancies in the mass of one component can lead to errors in the mass balance and affect the accuracy of the results.

What are some factors that can influence the mass of one component in a two component system with feed flowrate?

The mass of one component can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the reaction conditions (temperature, pressure, etc.), the reaction rate, the initial concentrations of the components, and any side reactions or impurities present. These factors can all affect the amount of the component that is consumed or produced during the reaction, and therefore impact the overall mass of that component in the system.