Determine Range of a and b for Controllability and Observability

• Thread starter gand4lf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, when determining the range of values for a and b for a system to be completely controllable and observable, it is important to consider the S and V matrices and ensure they have full rank. It may also be helpful to treat the feedback gain separately and consider the order of the system when calculating the S and V matrices.
gand4lf

Homework Statement

The following two gain equations are given (G is the forward-path gain; H is presumably the feedback gain):

G(s) = [itex]\frac{s + 3}{s^{3} + 2s^{2} + as + 1}[/itex] ;

H(s) = [itex]\frac{s + b}{s + 5}[/itex]

The question asks that the range of values for a and b be determined such that the system is completely controllable and observable.

2. Homework Equations /theory

Closed-loop transfer function for no controller, M(s) = [itex]\frac{G(s)}{1 + G(s)H(s)}[/itex]

State space vectors:
[itex]\dot{x}[/itex] = Ax(t) + Bu(t)
y(t) = Cx(t) + Du(t)

If for these state vectors, the matrix S has full rank, the system is controllable; if V has full rank then the system is observable. S and V are defined as:

S = [B A*B A*A*B ...]
V = Transpose([C C*A C*A*A ...]) (just more convenient to write the transpose)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the closed-loop transfer function as:

M(s) = [itex]\frac{s^{2} + 8s + 5}{s^{4} + 7s^{3} + (11 + a)s^{2} + (5a + b + 4)s + (3b + 5)}[/itex]

From this I multiplied out the highest order of s and transcribed the coefficients into the OCF and CCF forms. However, the S for CCF is always non-singular and a similar case occurs with the matrix V for OCF. This is because those matrices are always triangular (as far as I can tell). As such, it appears as though the variables a and b have no effect on the system, which obviously seems erroneous.

Now perhaps I should calculate the S vector for the OCF form - I haven't done this as it seems absolutely messy and I know for a fact that this question is supposed to be done under time pressure (it is in preparation for an exam). On the other hand, I saw at least one question where the forward-path gain was considered alone, and the feedback treated separately - but in that case it was some unrecognised vector form.

Note: my bad if this is in the wrong forum space - first post and seemed most relevant to engineering homework.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made a good attempt at solving the problem. However, there are a few things that you may want to consider in order to fully answer the question.

Firstly, when solving for the range of values for a and b, it is important to keep in mind that the system must be completely controllable and observable. This means that the S and V matrices must have full rank in order for the system to be fully controllable and observable. Therefore, when calculating the closed-loop transfer function, it is important to consider the values of a and b that will result in a non-singular S and V matrix.

Secondly, when calculating the S and V matrices, it is important to consider the order of the system. In this case, the system is a fourth-order system, so the S and V matrices will have four columns. It may be helpful to write out the matrices in full and then try to find a pattern in the coefficients that will result in a non-singular matrix.

Lastly, it is important to note that the feedback gain, H(s), is a constant and does not change with the value of s. Therefore, when calculating the closed-loop transfer function, it may be helpful to treat the feedback gain separately and then substitute it into the overall transfer function.

I hope this helps in your attempt to solve the problem. Good luck on your exam!

What is controllability and observability?

Controllability and observability are two important concepts in control theory that determine the ability to control and observe a system. Controllability refers to the ability to manipulate the system's states to reach a desired state, while observability refers to the ability to measure the states of the system.

What factors affect the range of a and b for controllability and observability?

The range of a and b for controllability and observability is affected by the system's dynamics and structure, as well as the number of inputs and outputs. In general, a larger number of inputs and outputs increase the range of a and b for both controllability and observability.

How do you determine the range of a and b for controllability and observability?

The range of a and b for controllability and observability can be determined by analyzing the system's controllability and observability matrices. These matrices contain information about the system's dynamics and structure, and can be used to calculate the range of a and b for both controllability and observability.

What happens if a system is uncontrollable or unobservable?

If a system is uncontrollable, it means that there is no combination of inputs that can steer the system to a desired state. Similarly, if a system is unobservable, it means that there is no way to measure the system's states. In both cases, the system cannot be effectively controlled or observed.

How important is it to consider controllability and observability in system design?

Controllability and observability are crucial factors to consider in system design, especially in control systems. A system that is controllable and observable is easier to control and monitor, which can lead to improved performance and stability. Additionally, considering these factors can help identify potential issues and improve the overall design of the system.