Determine the angles between diffraction maxima

In summary: But you can only tell for sure by reading the text.In summary, the problem involves a microwave of wavelength 3 being incident on a row of parallel metal rods with a separation of 10cm. The first order diffraction is observed at 25° to the direction of the incident wave, but there is confusion as to whether the first bright fringe corresponds to a difference of 1λ or 1.5λ between W4 and W3. After further analysis and drawing out the diagram, it is determined that the 1.5 comes from the condition for a grating, while the 1 corresponds to a single slit. The question is most likely related to a single slit problem, based on its placement in the "
null void

Homework Statement

microwave of wavelength 3 are incident to a row of parallel metal rods. The separation of the rods is 10cm. The first order diffraction is observed at 25° to the direction of the incident wave. Determine the angle between the first and the second order of diffraction maxima.

Homework Equations

I suppose that the maxima is the strip of bright fringe and this is the diffraction of single strip diffraction. I think that this picture is suitable to describe the problem,
sinslitwid.gif

assume that the wave 3 and 4 intersect a point P at a screen and form Bright Fringe(picture shows dark fringe, but i just assume it is bridge fringe, couldn't find a better picture).

First assumption : W4 - W3 = λ...at first maxima
and solving the triangle like how shown in this image
gres6.gif

I get θ = mλ/a ...m is 1,2,3...and a is the size of the metal rod separation, 10cm
θ = 1 x 0.03m / 0.1m = 0.3 rad = 17.2°...but the problems say it is 25°but when I assume W4-W3 = 1.5 λ ... for first maxima
i get
θ = 1.5 x 0.03m / 0.1m = .45 rad = 25.78°...closer to the 25° stated in the question

Now my main confusion is W4-W3 for the first bright fringe λ or 1.5λ, what i am thinking now is the bright fringe is the superposition of the W4 and W3, W4 is longer than W3 by 1λ, but the question seems telling it is 1.5λ and so do some of the books and site...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
microwave of wavelength 3
I gather from what you wrote later that should be 0.03m, right?
The symbol after '25' for the angle is not coming out on my browser. Is it degrees? If so, I have to agree that the information given appears inconsistent. That angle would correspond to the second minimum.
Is it possible that the incoming rays are at an oblique angle to the grating?

Yeah that 25 is degree, it was in the correct symbol at the time i submit the post... The question didn't state how the microwave hit the grating, i think it should be perpendicular, so what do u think, finding the angle θ for the first bright fringe is:

θ = mλ/a...a = the gap between the rod and m is either positive or negative integers

or

θ = (m + 1/2)λ/a

The top picture in the OP is for a single slit, not a grating. That will give the first minimum at (w/2) sin(θ) = λ/2, and the first non-central maximum at w sin(θ) = 1.5 λ. See: http://web.utk.edu/~cnattras/Phys250Fall2012/modules/module%201/diffraction_and_interference.htm .

If it is a grating, d sinθ = kλ is the condition for the maxima. sinθ can be approximated by θ for angles less than 10 degrees or so, so you can not use it here.
If it is normal incidence, the data are inconsistent.

ehild

haruspex said:
The top picture in the OP is for a single slit, not a grating. That will give the first minimum at (w/2) sin(θ) = λ/2, and the first non-central maximum at w sin(θ) = 1.5 λ. See: http://web.utk.edu/~cnattras/Phys250Fall2012/modules/module%201/diffraction_and_interference.htm .

Well, it is said that the light arrives at a row of parallel metal rods, separated by 10 cm. That is a grating.

In case of a single slit of width W, the minima appear where Wsinθ = mλ.
ehild

Likes 1 person
Based on the image given in the website,
http://web.utk.edu/~cnattras/Phys250Fall2012/modules/module%201/images/diffra12.gif

If i am to find the first constructive fringe, the w1 and w7 difference by 1λ right?
if that true, the construction of wave happen when w1 and w7 difference by mλ
so mλ = (W/2)sin θ

using sinθ approximation to θ,

θ = (2λm)/W

So going back to my question, based on the information given, ignoring the 25 degree...

θ = 2(0.03)(1) / 0.1 = 0.6 rad = 34.4 degree, so that 25 degree is an error?

null void said:
Based on the image given in the website,
http://web.utk.edu/~cnattras/Phys250Fall2012/modules/module%201/images/diffra12.gif
That image is for a single slit. The dots are not grating lines, they're just to illustrate the argument. Likewise, the first image in the OP is for a single slit. The question is a for a grating, which is different.
ehild said:
Well, it is said that the light arrives at a row of parallel metal rods, separated by 10 cm. That is a grating.
Yes, that's my point. But the 25 degrees (1.5λ) is consistent with its being a single slit.

Likes 1 person
Oh really sorry, my bad, I thought diffraction grating is same as diffraction of single slit...but they re more related to the change of wavelength. This question never state it is single slit problem or grating problem, but I guess it is more to single slit problem, because it is under the chapter "nature of wave".

Yes, that's my point. But the 25 degrees (1.5λ) is consistent with its being a single slit.

I really don't get it where the 1.5 comes from, in case of constructive wave, the w1 and w7 difference is 1λ or mλ isn't it?

then i get
(W/2)sin θ = mλ

θ = 2mλ/W

but the question 20 degree seems telling me it is 1.5, something must have been wrong with my concept...

Likewise, the first image in the OP is for a single slit.
You mean the diagram with read waveform? But how do you differentiate it is single slit or grating by looking at the diagram?

Last edited:
After drawing out the diagram on my own, I finally realize how the 1.5 come, thanks very much ^^

null void said:
This question never state it is single slit problem or grating problem, but I guess it is more to single slit problem, because it is under the chapter "nature of wave".
The description mentions metal rods. That makes it a grating.
You mean the diagram with red waveform? But how do you differentiate it is single slit or grating by looking at the diagram?
By the fact that it looks exactly like the diagram for a single slit in the link I posted.

1. What is the concept of diffraction maxima?

Diffraction maxima refers to the points of maximum intensity in a diffraction pattern, where constructive interference occurs between diffracted waves. These maxima can be observed when a wave, such as light, passes through a diffracting object, such as a slit or grating, causing it to bend and create a pattern of light and dark spots.

2. How do you determine the angles between diffraction maxima?

The angles between diffraction maxima can be determined by using the equation: sinθ = mλ/d, where θ is the angle between the diffracted wave and the incident wave, m is the order of the maxima, λ is the wavelength of the incident wave, and d is the spacing between the diffracting objects. This equation is known as the grating equation and can be used to calculate the angles for any diffraction pattern.

3. What factors can affect the angles between diffraction maxima?

The angles between diffraction maxima can be affected by the wavelength of the incident wave, the spacing between the diffracting objects, and the order of the maxima. Additionally, the material and properties of the diffracting object, as well as the angle of incidence of the wave, can also impact the angles between diffraction maxima.

4. How is the concept of diffraction maxima used in practical applications?

The concept of diffraction maxima is used in various practical applications, such as in X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of molecules, in optical instruments such as spectrometers and telescopes, and in the design of diffraction gratings for use in lasers and other light-based technologies.

5. What is the relationship between the number of diffraction maxima and the number of diffracting objects?

The relationship between the number of diffraction maxima and the number of diffracting objects is given by the equation: N = m + 1, where N is the total number of maxima and m is the number of diffracting objects. This means that for a single diffracting object, there will be one maximum, and for multiple diffracting objects, the number of maxima will increase by one for each additional object.