Diffraction Grating Angle Between Second Order Maxima

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics question involving diffraction gratings. The question asks for the angle between the second-order maxima for two different wavelengths of light. The student attempted the solution in two different ways, with the first method being incorrect. The correct method is provided and the student is satisfied with the answer.
Kumo
Hi Everbody,

I am having a bit of trouble with an AS Physics question regarding diffraction gratings. I have managed to solve the problem that I have been facing, although I am not completely sure that I got to it through the correct means, and also why the answer is such.

Homework Statement

“1. Blue and red light with wavelengths 450nm and 650nm respectively, is inident normally on a diffraction grating which has 4.0 * 105 lines per meter

b) Calculate the angle between the second-order maxima for these wavelengths.”

Homework Equations

nλ = d sin θ

n=2

λ = 6.5 * 10-6 and 4.0 * 10-6

d=1/2.5*10-6

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the solution two different ways with the first, and to me most intuitive method, failing.

1. sin-1 (2*4.5*10-6)/(2.5*10-6) =θ

θ=21.1°

This was incorrect. However, the following corresponded to the answer at the back of the book.

sin-1 (4.5*10-6)/(2.5*10-6) =θ

θ=10.37°

Now the answer at the back of the book was 10.2°, but I assume that it isn’t the result of sheer chance.

Thank you very much for your time.

Likes Ebube
Physics news on Phys.org
I managed to solve it I think. It turns out that it was a coincidence.

The correct method seems to have been:

(sin-1(2*6.5*10 -7 )/(2.5*10 -6)) - (sin -1 (2*4.5*10 -7)/(2.5*10-6 )) = 10.23°

Last edited:

1. What is the diffraction grating angle between second order maxima?

The diffraction grating angle between second order maxima refers to the angle at which the second order diffraction maximum occurs on a diffraction grating. This angle is determined by the wavelength of light and the spacing of the grating lines.

2. How is the diffraction grating angle between second order maxima calculated?

The diffraction grating angle between second order maxima can be calculated using the equation: θ = sin^-1 (mλ/d), where θ is the angle, m is the order of the diffraction maximum, λ is the wavelength of light, and d is the distance between grating lines.

3. What is the relationship between the diffraction grating angle and the order of the diffraction maximum?

The diffraction grating angle increases as the order of the diffraction maximum increases. This means that the angle between the first and second order maxima will be larger than the angle between the zero and first order maxima.

4. How does the spacing of the grating lines affect the diffraction grating angle between second order maxima?

The spacing of the grating lines has a direct effect on the diffraction grating angle between second order maxima. As the spacing increases, the angle also increases. This is because a larger spacing creates a larger path difference between the diffracted waves, resulting in a larger angle of diffraction.

5. What is the significance of the diffraction grating angle between second order maxima?

The diffraction grating angle between second order maxima is important in understanding the behavior of light when it passes through a diffraction grating. It is also useful in determining the wavelength of light and the spacing of the grating lines, which can be valuable in many scientific and technological applications such as spectroscopy and optical instrumentation.