Determine the other Force, when given resultant and one force.

In summary, to determine the other force, you should find the x and y components of each force F1 and F2, not the x and y components of the given answer. Use the graphical method of adding F1 and F2 to get a rough estimation of the magnitude, sense, and direction of F2. Then, note that the sum of the x components of F1 and F2 is the x component of R, and the sum of the y components of F1 and F2 is the y component of R. Remember to always draw a rough sketch and use a rough scale for better accuracy.
JordanIV
The question is: The 150lb. force shown is the resultant of two forces, one of which is shown. Determine the other force.

I cannot figure out how to get the other force. I tried using the parallelogram method and method of components, but have been way off on the answers. The answers on the back of the book says the other Force=87.9lb and θ=3.87°.

I tried doing the x and y components of each answer but i just end up back with the same numbers i started out with.

I have tried the pythagoream theorm by subtracting 150 squared from 75 squared which gave me an answer of 130 when rounded, from there I got lost.

I'm just wondering how to actually determine the other force the correct way. I've been reading the book examples and they only tell you just how to determine the resultant, but not the force, if only one is given.

Attachments

• Force-Resultant.jpg
    Force-Resultant.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,205
Physics news on Phys.org
You should find the x and y components of each force F1 and F2, not the x and y components of the given answer.

Always draw your sketch to a rough scale. Using the graphical method of adding F1 and F2 by placing the tail of F2 on the head of F1 , where the head of F2 coincides with the head of R, will give you a rough estimation of the magnitude. sense, and direction of F2.

Now note that the sum of the x comp of F1 and F2 is the x comp of R, and the sum of the y comp of F1 and F2 is the y comp of R.

Welcome to PF!

Related to Determine the other Force, when given resultant and one force.

1. What is the formula for determining the other force when given the resultant and one force?

The formula for determining the other force is F = R - F1, where F is the other force, R is the resultant, and F1 is the known force.

2. Can the direction of the other force be determined using this formula?

Yes, the direction of the other force can be determined by using the direction of the known force and the direction of the resultant. The other force will be in the opposite direction of the known force.

3. Can this formula be used for calculating both linear and angular forces?

Yes, this formula can be used for calculating both linear and angular forces, as long as the known force and the resultant are in the same direction.

4. What happens if the resultant and the known force are in opposite directions?

If the resultant and the known force are in opposite directions, the formula for determining the other force becomes F = R + F1. This is because the other force will now be in the same direction as the known force.

5. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when using this formula?

Yes, the units of measurement need to be consistent for all values used in the formula. Also, the forces should be acting on the same point or object in order for this formula to be accurate.