Determine the probability of ##P(x>4)##

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of probability using integrals. The solution involves finding the area under the graph and using the area of a triangle to simplify the calculation. The final solution for part (c) is given by multiplying the value from part (b) by 4, as indicated in the question.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
Knowledge of distributions
1649156003777.png

Find the solution here;

1649156029036.png

Ok my interest is on part (b) and (c) only. Let's start with (b),
My take is,
$$\int_4^5 \dfrac{2}{75}x\,dx=\left.[\frac{x^2}{75}]\right|_4^5$$
$$=(0.33333333-0.21333333)+\frac{2}{15}×5$$
$$=0.12+0.6666666666=0.78666666$$
note that at ##f(x)##=##\dfrac{2}{15}##, the probability value will be the area subtended by values of ##x## from ##x=5## to ##10## hence ##10-5=5##...in short, probability ##P(x>4)## at this point will be the area subtended by the straight line within the given domain ##5<x≤10##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing the reader with all those decimals. The general rule is
[tex]
\mathbb P(X\leqslant a) = \int _{-\infty}^a f(t)\mathrm{d}t,
[/tex]
if ##X## has a probability density ##f##. For b) apply what you know about the probabilities of an event and its opposite event.

If you are looking for feedback, explain your thought process that leads you to a certain computation. The probability you are looking for in c) is that at least one battery fails within the next ##40## hours, because both batteries are required for the device to work.

Likes chwala
nuuskur said:
You are confusing the reader with all those decimals.
Yes, you should not use decimals in a problem like this; express your answer as a rational number. And look up the meaning of the word "subtend", it has nothing to do with area.

As to method: you have correctly worked out ## P(x>4) ## by evaluating an integral at 2 points and adding on an area of a rectangle. Can you think of a way to arrive at the same answer simply by calculating the area of a triangle? (Perhaps it would have been better not to ignore part (a).)

pbuk said:
Yes, you should not use decimals in a problem like this; express your answer as a rational number. And look up the meaning of the word "subtend", it has nothing to do with area.

As to method: you have correctly worked out ## P(x>4) ## by evaluating an integral at 2 points and adding on an area of a rectangle. Can you think of a way to arrive at the same answer simply by calculating the area of a triangle? (Perhaps it would have been better not to ignore part (a).)
Ok I will look at that...I had already seen how the graph looks like in part (a)...we have a right angle triangle and a rectangle...noted on 'subtended'...

chwala said:
Ok I will look at that...I had already seen how the graph looks like in part (a)...we have a right angle triangle and a rectangle...noted on 'subtended'...
OK, so if you divide the area under the graph into two pieces by drawing a vertical line at ## x = 4 ##, you have a triangle with a known base and a height which can be calculated with a trivial substitution. You also have an irregular pentagon. For which piece is it easier to calculate the area?

Likes chwala
Thanks @pbuk ...kindly let me look at this later...when I am through with other tasks...

Ok we shall have,
##\left[(\dfrac{1}{2}×5×\dfrac{2}{15})-(\dfrac{1}{2}×4×\dfrac{8}{75})\right]+5×\dfrac{2}{15}=\dfrac{59}{75}##

chwala said:
Ok we shall have,
##\left[(\dfrac{1}{2}×5×\dfrac{2}{15})-(\dfrac{1}{2}×4×\dfrac{8}{75})\right]+5×\dfrac{2}{15}=\dfrac{59}{75}##
You are still over-complicating this, you should be able to see on inspection that
## P(x \gt 4) = 1 - P(x \le 4) = 1 - \dfrac{1}{2}×4×\dfrac{8}{75} = \dfrac{59}{75}##.

pbuk said:
You are still over-complicating this, you should be able to see on inspection that
## P(x \gt 4) = 1 - P(x \le 4) = 1 - \dfrac{1}{2}×4×\dfrac{8}{75} = \dfrac{59}{75}##.
Thanks mate.

Find the solution below from the Markscheme.

Now for part (c), i was not understanding how they came up with using part (b) to realize the solution i.e

1649328188537.png

...then i realized from the question itself indicate...in tens of hours... implying in our case, ##4## × tens of hours = ##40## hours. The steps to final solution is very much clear to me. Cheers guys.

1. What does "P(x>4)" mean in this context?

In this context, "P(x>4)" refers to the probability of a random variable, x, being greater than 4. This means that we are interested in finding the likelihood of a value occurring that is larger than 4.

2. How do you determine the probability of "P(x>4)"?

To determine the probability of "P(x>4)", we need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of outcomes that satisfy the condition of x being greater than 4. The probability is then calculated by dividing the number of outcomes satisfying the condition by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What factors can affect the probability of "P(x>4)"?

The probability of "P(x>4)" can be affected by various factors such as the sample size, the distribution of the data, and the specific values of x that are considered to be greater than 4. It can also be influenced by any assumptions made in the calculation of the probability.

4. Can the probability of "P(x>4)" be greater than 1?

No, the probability of "P(x>4)" cannot be greater than 1. This is because the highest possible probability is 1, which represents a 100% chance of an outcome occurring. If the probability is greater than 1, it would mean that the outcome is certain, which is not possible in a random event.

5. How can the probability of "P(x>4)" be used in real-life situations?

The probability of "P(x>4)" can be used in various real-life situations, such as in risk assessment, decision making, and statistical analysis. For example, a company may use this probability to determine the likelihood of a product selling more than 4 units in a given time period. It can also be used to predict the chances of an event occurring, such as the probability of a patient surviving a medical procedure.