Determine the signs (positive or negative) of the particle

In summary, the teacher doesn't teach, they just do activities and have whole chapters worth of mini assignments due every few days.
wein7145
Background
The teacher doesn't teach we just do activities and have whole chapters worth of 20 mini assignments due every few days. Yes I did read the book.

1. Homework Statement

Determine the signs (positive or negative) of the position, velocity, and acceleration for the particle in
FIGURE Q1.6, FiGURE Q1.7 and FIGURE 1.8:

Figure 1.6
phy1.jpg

Figure 1.7 and Figure 1.8
phy2.jpg

2. Relevant equations
x=x(t) distance or position

__dx
v= -- velocity
__dt

__dv_____d^(2)x
a= -- or --------- acceleration
__dt_____dt^(2)

Ignore this "__" it is a space this doesn't accept spaces like some languages do...

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1.6 I'm pretty sure Position is (negative) from starting point to origin
For 1.7 I'm pretty sure Position is (positive) from starting point to origin
For 1.8 I'm pretty sure Position is (negative) from starting point to origin

How can you determine velocity and acceleration which are derivatives from a line that has no equation or labeled points? I'm also aware of what is called inflection points where it changes from positive to negative. Are there rules I'm missing here? Would all signs be the same since this is 1D motion??

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-13_0-36-49.png
    upload_2015-9-13_0-36-49.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,037
Physics news on Phys.org
You can determine the velocity from the direction of the arrows.
The acceleration is related to the length of the arrows.

You mixed up the answers for 1.7 and 1.8
Remember that the y-axis is generally pointing upwards.

Likes wein7145
Thanks that helps a lot
You can determine the velocity from the direction of the arrows.The acceleration is related to the length of the arrows.
I thought it was just showing the velocity only not acceleration. Because the previous ones showed velocity with a direction bar ("v-bar") but looking at it again there are no markings. Yes so in conclusion: (That also makes sense from a number line point of view as -5 to -1 is still negative and 1 to 5 is still positive)
For 1.6 I'm sure Position is (negative) from starting point to origin
For 1.7 I'm sure Position is (negative) from starting point to origin (in math terms this is more positive but still negative)
For 1.8 I'm sure Position is (positive) from starting point to origin

Well about this little part
(in math terms this is more positive but still negative)

The position is strictly negative whatever way you look at it.
You being confused by the arrows.
The arrows point in the positive direction for 1.7, this means the velocity is positive.

Can you figure out the other two velocities?
What about the acceleration?

Remember, ##a=\frac{dv}{dt}## so you can look at how the velocity changes to determine the acceleration.

Likes wein7145
For 1.6 I'm sure Position is (negative), velocity is (positive), acceleration is (negative) from starting point to origin
For 1.7 I'm sure Position is (negative), velocity is (positive), acceleration is (positive) from starting point to origin
For 1.8 I'm sure Position is (negative), velocity is (positive), acceleration is (positive) from starting point to origin
Assuming all signs the same rule. Unless this is asking for signs at each part increasing and decreasing. Now I'm thinking the small arrow is decreasing and the larger arrow is increasing. Unless all arrows are just increasing? Again I don't even know the rules but this may in the end finally teach me them...

The position is strictly negative whatever way you look at it.
Whoops. Hopefully you can see the edits.

Last edited:
Almost there, you had the positions right in your previous post (negative, negative and positive). I was aiming at the small remark you made.
Why do you think the acceleration is negative in the first picture?
Doesn't the velocity grow?

Likes wein7145
Because in terms of derivatives usually they do the opposite sign at the inflection point.
For 1.6 I'm now sure Position is (negative), velocity is (positive), acceleration is (positive) from starting point to origin
For 1.7 I'm now sure Position is (negative), velocity is (positive), acceleration is (positive) from starting point to origin
For 1.8 I'm now sure Position is (postive), velocity is (positive), acceleration is (positive) from starting point to origin

Those answers are correct.

About the signs of acceleration, if the velocity increases you know that the acceleration has the same sign as this velocity.

You can easily see this from the kinematic equation ##v(t) = v_0 + a\cdot t## where I defined ##v_0## as the initial velocity.

As an aside, it's better to use speed when discussing the size of the velocity.
This helps you remember this distinction and avoid mistakes along the line.

Good Luck

J

Likes wein7145
As an aside, it's better to use speed when discussing the size of the velocity.
Yes I agree speed and graphs with slope describe this concept better. (Although technically the slope is zero)

This helps you remember this distinction and avoid mistakes along the line.
Going through my mistakes helps me remember and avoid making the same mistakes again. Thank you for the help. Strange how the book doesn't have answers to these conceptual questions but has answers to most of the odd numbered questions. I will have many more questions so be on the lookout for my journey into Physics! :)

1. What does it mean to determine the signs of a particle?

Determining the signs of a particle refers to identifying whether the particle has a positive or negative charge. This is an important aspect of particle analysis in fields such as physics and chemistry.

2. How can the signs of a particle be determined?

The signs of a particle can be determined through various methods such as using electric and magnetic fields, observing the particle's interaction with other particles, or measuring its mass and charge.

3. Why is it important to determine the signs of particles?

Determining the signs of particles is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of matter. It helps in predicting the interactions between particles and can aid in the development of new technologies and materials.

4. Are there any limitations to determining the signs of particles?

Yes, there are limitations to determining the signs of particles. Some particles, such as neutrinos, do not have an electric charge and therefore their signs cannot be determined. Additionally, uncertainties in measurements and experimental errors can also affect the accuracy of determining particle signs.

5. Can the signs of particles change?

Yes, the signs of particles can change under certain conditions. For example, particles can become ionized, resulting in a change in their charge. Also, in some nuclear reactions, particles can undergo transformations, changing their properties including their signs.