Determine the tension in the coupling

In summary, the conversation discussed the tension in the coupling between different cars of a train, given the train's mass, acceleration, and ignoring friction. To determine the tension, the equation F=ma was used, where F represents the tension, m represents the mass of the train, and a represents the acceleration. To find the tension between the 30th and 31st cars, the equation (51-n)*ma was used, where n represents the number of the car. However, there was confusion about finding the tension between the 49th and 50th cars, as it was not clear whether n should be 2 or 50. The correct equation for finding the tension between the 49th and 50th
navjot
A train consists of 50 cars, each of which has a mass of 6.6 e3 kg. The train has an acceleration of 1.5 e-1 m/s2. Ignore friction and determine the tension in the coupling at the following places. (a) between the 30th and 31st cars

(b) between the 49th and 50th cars

F=ma

I got the first part by using the equation: (51-n)*ma = 20*6.6e3*1.5e-1 = 19800. But I can't seem to get part (b). Wouldn't n be 2?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why 2 ?
The train is 50 cars, the 50th is the last one.
It's really obvious.

Also this is not correct, why 51-n ? 50-n.
(51-n)*ma

Quinzio said:
Why 2 ?
The train is 50 cars, the 50th is the last one.
It's really obvious.

Also this is not correct, why 51-n ? 50-n.
(51-n)*ma

so when I had to find the acceleration of the 31st car, I did 51-31= 20, and 20*ma was correct. So if I need the acceleration of the 50th car, would I do 51-50?

Last edited:

Related to Determine the tension in the coupling

1. What is tension in a coupling?

Tension in a coupling refers to the amount of force that is being applied to the connection between two objects. In the context of science, it is typically used to describe the force being exerted on a mechanical coupling, such as a bolt or screw.

2. How is tension in a coupling measured?

Tension in a coupling can be measured using a variety of methods, including strain gauges, load cells, or torque wrenches. The specific method used will depend on the type of coupling and the precision of the measurement needed.

3. Why is it important to determine the tension in a coupling?

Determining the tension in a coupling is important because it can affect the stability and safety of a mechanical system. If the tension is too low, the coupling may fail to hold the objects together, while if it is too high, it may cause damage or deformation to the objects being connected.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a coupling?

The tension in a coupling can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and size of the coupling, the materials being joined, the amount of force being applied, and any external forces acting on the objects.

5. How can the tension in a coupling be adjusted?

The tension in a coupling can be adjusted by either increasing or decreasing the force being applied to the connection. This can be done by tightening or loosening bolts, adjusting the position of the objects being joined, or using tools such as tensioners or torque wrenches.