Determine the Transition Wavelength

In summary, the question is asking for the wavelength of radiation associated with a transition between the groundstate and the first excited level of OH, which is shown to be 120 K above the groundstate on an energy level diagram. The relevant frequencies and wavelengths are given on the diagram, but the asker is unsure of how to calculate them correctly. The 1665MHz and 6030MHz frequencies do not correspond to the transition between J=5/2 and J=3/2, and the energy of the transition is approximately 85 cm^-1, giving a wavelength of 0.000118 cm or 119.2 µm. The statement about the first rotationally excited level lying 120K above the groundstate
Samuel Williams
Hi all, the question is as follows:

1. Homework Statement

From the energy level diagram for OH in the study guide, it can be seen that the first rotationally
excited level of OH (23=2 J =5\2) lies 120 K above the groundstate. What is the wavelength of radiation associated with a transition between the groundstate and the first excited level?

Homework Equations

This is an energy level diagram that contains the relevant wavelengths, the numbers in blue are the transition wavelengths, which is what I require.

enerdiag_oh.png

I would just like to know how to actually calculate the wavelengths.

The Attempt at a Solution

img10.gif

The difference in frequencies is, for example from J = 5/2 to J = 3/2, 4365MHz where the main line frequencies of 1665MHz and 6030MHz are used. However, this corresponds to a wavelength of 0.068m, which is far off of the 0.000119m actual value. I suspect that I am calculating it incorrectly, I am unsure how to actually do it.

Attachments

• enerdiag_oh.png
    enerdiag_oh.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 716
  • img10.gif
    img10.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the "mainline frequencies"? Are they the 1.6 GHz and 6 GHz marked on the diagram? These are not the energies of the 3/2 and 5/2 levels; they are the energy differences between the + and - sub-levels of these levels. A wavelength of 119.2 µm corresponds to 2517 GHz.

What is meant by the statement "the first rotationally excited level lies 120 K above the groundstate"? How might you use this information to calculate the answer?

Likes nrqed
mjc123 said:
What do you mean by the "mainline frequencies"? Are they the 1.6 GHz and 6 GHz marked on the diagram? These are not the energies of the 3/2 and 5/2 levels; they are the energy differences between the + and - sub-levels of these levels. A wavelength of 119.2 µm corresponds to 2517 GHz.

What is meant by the statement "the first rotationally excited level lies 120 K above the groundstate"? How might you use this information to calculate the answer?

Yes, the mainline frequencies are the corresponding 1.6GHz and 6 GHz as seen. They are referred to as mainline because F = constant for their transitions. Are you referring to thermal excitation, or something with regards to blackbody radiation such as Wien's law? I don't think that is applicable, although I could be wrong. I am frequently afterall

Samuel Williams said:
Hi all, the question is as follows:

1. Homework Statement

From the energy level diagram for OH in the study guide, it can be seen that the first rotationally
excited level of OH (23=2 J =5\2) lies 120 K above the groundstate. What is the wavelength of radiation associated with a transition between the groundstate and the first excited level?

Homework Equations

This is an energy level diagram that contains the relevant wavelengths, the numbers in blue are the transition wavelengths, which is what I require.

View attachment 232114

I would just like to know how to actually calculate the wavelengths.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 232115

The difference in frequencies is, for example from J = 5/2 to J = 3/2, 4365MHz where the main line frequencies of 1665MHz and 6030MHz are used. However, this corresponds to a wavelength of 0.068m, which is far off of the 0.000119m actual value. I suspect that I am calculating it incorrectly, I am unsure how to actually do it.

EDIT: I just realized that mcj123 had already made the same comments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You cannot combine the 1665 MHz and the 6030 MHz to get the transition J=5/2 to J=3/2. The 1665 MHz gives the splitting between the J=3/2 lines (the more precise values are given in the graph) while the 6030 MHZ gives the splitting between the J=5/2 lines. This tells us nothing about the transition 5/2 to 3/2. The energy of transition between the J=5/2 and the J=3/2 is approximately ##85 cm^{-1}## if we use the vertical axis to estimate the value, which gives a wavelength of ##0.000118## cm. But it is hard to read precisely on the graph since no graduation is shown. However, it seems that the wavelength in ##\mu m## is directly written on the graph, it is the 119.2 number written there.

Note that if you convert 1GHz to the unit ##cm^{-1}##, you will get something tiny. The graph is not drawn to scale, the splittings wishing the J=5/2 lines or within the J=3/2 lines are tiny tiny compared to the separation between J=3/2 and J=5/2.

I assume "the first rotationally excited level lies 120 K above the groundstate" means that 120K is the temperature at which E = kBT. Hence you can work out E, and hence the wavelength.

What is the transition wavelength?

The transition wavelength is the specific wavelength of light at which an electron in an atom transitions from one energy level to another. It is a unique characteristic of each atom and can be used to identify different elements.

How is the transition wavelength determined?

The transition wavelength is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the electron in the atom. This equation takes into account the electron's energy, mass, and potential energy due to the attraction of the atomic nucleus.

What factors affect the transition wavelength?

The transition wavelength is primarily affected by the energy levels of the electron in the atom. These energy levels are determined by the atomic structure and can be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields.

Why is the transition wavelength important?

The transition wavelength is important because it can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of atoms. It can also be used in spectroscopy to identify and analyze different elements or molecules.

How is the transition wavelength measured?

The transition wavelength is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques, such as absorption or emission spectroscopy. These methods involve passing light of different wavelengths through a sample and measuring the intensity of light that is absorbed or emitted at the transition wavelength.