Determine what's in a container

• Thread starter displayname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Container
In summary, if it is a battery and resistor, you will attach a resistor in series to measure the voltage drop. If it is a capacitor, you will add a resistor in series to find the capacitance.
displayname

Homework Statement

You are given a container with either a battery and a resistor or a capacitor inside it. There is also a positive and negative terminal sticking out of the container.

Without looking inside, how will you determine what is inside the container? Materials include a voltmeter, a voltage vs. time probe, wires and alligator clips, resistors, and batteries.

If it is a batter and resistor, how will you determine the voltage of the battery and the resistance of the resistor? If it is a capacitor how will you determine the capacitance (hint: graph voltage vs. time)?

Homework Equations

V=IR
V = Vo(e^(-t/RC))

The Attempt at a Solution

Find if battery of capacitor:
- attach a voltmeter in parallel to figure out initial voltage
- If there is 0 voltage, you have a capacitor.
- If voltage is not 0, attach a resistor for a second
- Remove resistor then measure the voltage again. If the voltage dropped significantly to 0 or close to 0, you have discharged a capacitor. Otherwise, if the voltage stayed about the same, you have a battery.

In order to confirm you have a capacitor, attach a battery to the circuit. Disconnect battery. See if voltage is not 0.

If you have a battery:
- find voltage by adding voltmeter in parallel
- find resistance by?
If you have a capacitor:
- add a resistor in series (note resistance)
- use the voltage over time probe and graph voltage over time
- get two voltage points and plug into the voltage of capacitor equation to solve for capacitance

Is this method right? How do i find resistance of a resistor? maybe use V = IR, but we don't know I

Physics news on Phys.org
How will you charge the capacitor if that's what you have?

SammyS said:
How will you charge the capacitor if that's what you have?

couldnt you just attach the two ends to the terminals of a battery and then check the voltage to see if the capacitor charged

displayname said:
couldn't you just attach the two ends to the terminals of a battery and then check the voltage to see if the capacitor charged
Yes.

Now, if it's a battery and a resistor, I assume the resistor will be in series with the battery. Connect a known resistance across the terminals of the container. Measure the voltage drop across the resistor. Use Ohm's law to find the current. Do this for a few values of resistance.

SammyS said:
Connect a known resistance across the terminals of the container. Measure the voltage drop across the resistor. Use Ohm's law to find the current. Do this for a few values of resistance.

Ok. This is my understanding:

So by attaching the voltmeter to the terminals of the container, we find the voltage of the battery (V). Now, we attach a resistor (with resistance r) to the terminals (so the resistor is in series). Let's say the resistance of the resistor attached to the batter is R.

V = I(R+r) -- two unknowns, I and R

Measuring the voltage drop between the known resistance results in solving for I.

Plug in I into the V=I(R+r) and solve for R.

So really we only need to try one resistor but can try multiple resistors to verify answer.

displayname said:
Ok. This is my understanding:

So by attaching the voltmeter to the terminals of the container, we find the voltage of the battery (V). Now, we attach a resistor (with resistance r) to the terminals (so the resistor is in series). Let's say the resistance of the resistor attached to the batter is R.

V = I(R+r) -- two unknowns, I and R

Measuring the voltage drop between the known resistance results in solving for I.

Plug in I into the V=I(R+r) and solve for R.

So really we only need to try one resistor but can try multiple resistors to verify answer.
Yes. Also, a particular resistor, r, may not give a very good result for R. If r has a much larger resistance than R, then voltage drop, Vr that you measure across r will be nearly as large as V, the voltage of the battery. Using too small a value for r can also cause problems.

For a capacitor you may also need to use various resistors. Definitely discharge more than once & compare results.

Related to Determine what's in a container

1. What tools are needed to determine what's in a container?

To determine what's in a container, you will need a scale, a ruler or measuring tape, a thermometer, and possibly a pH meter or other specialized equipment depending on the contents of the container.

2. How do you determine the volume of a container?

The volume of a container can be determined by measuring its dimensions (length, width, and height) and using the formula V = lwh (volume = length x width x height). Alternatively, you can fill the container with a known quantity of water and measure the volume of the water displaced.

3. What methods can be used to identify the contents of a container?

There are several methods that can be used to identify the contents of a container, including visual inspection, chemical testing, spectroscopy, and chromatography. The specific method will depend on the type of container and its contents.

4. How do you determine the mass of the contents in a container?

To determine the mass of the contents in a container, you will need to weigh the container when it is empty and then again when it is filled with the contents. The difference between the two weights is the mass of the contents.

5. What precautions should be taken when determining what's in a container?

When determining what's in a container, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid contact with potentially hazardous substances. You should also be familiar with proper handling and disposal procedures for the contents of the container.