Analyzing Bridge Circuit w/ Loop Currents

• Thread starter guyvsdcsniper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary: Hope that makes sense.In summary, the book I am using for the Loop Current Method has me producing a different result for Loop B than Loop A. I was able to follow the steps given in the book for Loop A, but when I tried to do the same for Loop B, I got a different result. I am not sure why this is, but it seems as though the direction of the current is important when applying the Loop Current Method.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Use the loop current method on bridge circuit to generate 3 loop equations
Relevant Equations
Kirchoff's law
Attached is the example I am working out of a textbook that involves using the Loop Current Method on a bridge circuit. In the pictures attached I am following section 1.6.2 which produces loop equations (1.24) for figure 1.9. Figure 1.7 provides the direction of current.

I am having trouble producing the same result as the book I am using for Loop B and C.

Following Loop A, we travel up the EMF,
##\varepsilon##, and then we reach ##R_1##. At this resistor, ##I_a## travels down the resistor and ##I_b## travels up it. Likewise, at ##R_3## ##I_a## travels down the resistor and ##I_c## travels up it. Traveling down the resistor leads to a drop in voltage which leads to a negative sign in associated with that voltage.

Following this logic, I receive the same equation for Loop A as seen in equation 1.24.

So now when evaluating Loop B, I will begin at Node 4. Again, at ##R_1## ##I_a## travels down the resistor and ##I_b## travels up it. This produces ##R_1I_b-R_1I_a##. Next we go down resistor ##R_2## and get ##-R_2I_b##. Finally we have resistor ##R_5##. ##I_b## travels up and ##I_c## travels down this resistor, giving ##R_5I_b-R_5I_c##. Simplifying this and setting it equal to zero gives:

$$-R_1[I_a-I_b]-R_2I_b-R_5[I_c-I_b]=0$$.

So my logic works for Loop A but for Loop B, this logic produces the opposite of what the book gives for the resistors that contain a superposition of current.

Could someone help me understand how I am approaching this wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 54
Physics news on Phys.org
guyvsdcsniper said:
at ##R_1## ##I_a## travels down the resistor and ##I_b## travels up it. This produces ##R_1I_b-R_1I_a##. Next we go down resistor ##R_2## and get ##-R_2I_b##. Finally we have resistor ##R_5##. ##I_b## travels up and ##I_c## travels down this resistor, giving ##R_5I_b-R_5I_c##. Simplifying this and setting it equal to zero gives:

$$-R_1[I_a-I_b]-R_2I_b-R_5[I_c-I_b]=0$$.
I'm not following your steps there. The references to up/down and the relationship to the signs are unclear.
Going clockwise around the loop, ##I_b## always has the same sign. You have
##R_1I_b-R_1I_a##, ##R_2I_b##, ##R_5I_b-R_5I_c##
So I disagree with your sign for ##R_2I_b##.

haruspex said:
I'm not following your steps there. The references to up/down and the relationship to the signs are unclear.
Going clockwise around the loop, ##I_b## always has the same sign. You have
##R_1I_b-R_1I_a##, ##R_2I_b##, ##R_5I_b-R_5I_c##
So I disagree with your sign for ##R_2I_b##.
Well I was assuming that the current traveling through this circuit will follow the path as described in figure 1.7. I used that to assign the voltage drop polarities. So the positive end of the resistors are where the current enters and the negative end is where the current exits.

So when following the loop upward, we are going from the negative end to the positive end of the resistor, giving a positive voltage and vice versa.

guyvsdcsniper said:
Well I was assuming that the current traveling through this circuit will follow the path as described in figure 1.7. I used that to assign the voltage drop polarities. So the positive end of the resistors are where the current enters and the negative end is where the current exits.

So when following the loop upward, we are going from the negative end to the positive end of the resistor, giving a positive voltage and vice versa.
I agree with your method, but somehow you are getting a wrong sign. I can’t pinpoint where without seeing your steps in gory detail.

I can see the potential for confusion from all those minus signs.
Do you see that all the ##I_b## terms should have the same sign in a given loop?

haruspex said:
I agree with your method, but somehow you are getting a wrong sign. I can’t pinpoint where without seeing your steps in gory detail.

I can see the potential for confusion from all those minus signs.
Do you see that all the ##I_b## terms should have the same sign in a given loop?
Hopefully this makes my thought process clear. I tried breaking down how I viewed each resistor when traveling loop B.

Attachments

• Workkk.jpeg
    Workkk.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 46
I am finding that I only get the same result as the book when I assign the voltage drop polarity with respect to the loop I am following.

So when I follow Loop A clockwise, I get the assigned voltage polarity as seen in my previous post.

But when I start at node 4, and follow loop B and treat it as the direction current is traveling, this switches the polarity of ##R_1## and ##R_5## and gives me the same result as the book (1.24).

Could this be the problem I am encountering? It seems as thought voltage drop polarity with the "Loop Current Method" is dependent on the direction of the loop.EDIT:

This may seem convoluted but I think this explanation makes sense. Given the name of the method "Loop Current" I think its treating the direction of each respective loop as the current. So you have to determine the voltage drop polarity for each individual loop.

Attachments

• WORKKK1.jpeg
    WORKKK1.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Yes, that's how I believe it works.

1. What is a bridge circuit and how does it work?

A bridge circuit is a type of electrical circuit used to measure unknown values of resistance, capacitance, or inductance. It consists of four resistors connected in a diamond shape, with the unknown component connected in one of the arms. By varying the values of the known resistors and measuring the resulting voltage, the unknown component can be calculated using the principle of Wheatstone's bridge.

2. What are loop currents and why are they important in analyzing bridge circuits?

Loop currents are the individual currents flowing through each loop or closed path in a circuit. In a bridge circuit, loop currents are used to determine the voltage drops across each resistor and ultimately calculate the unknown component. They are important because they allow us to apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to solve for the unknown values.

3. How do I calculate the loop currents in a bridge circuit?

To calculate the loop currents, you can use Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node must equal zero. Start by labeling each loop current and writing out the equations for Kirchhoff's current law for each node. Then, solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the loop currents.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing bridge circuits?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the polarity of the voltage drops across the resistors. Make sure to label the direction of the loop currents and the polarity of the voltage drops correctly. Another mistake is not simplifying the circuit before applying Kirchhoff's laws. Simplify the circuit by combining series and parallel resistors to make the calculations easier.

5. Can I use loop currents to analyze circuits with more than four resistors?

Yes, loop currents can be used to analyze circuits with any number of resistors, as long as the circuit is planar (can be drawn on a flat surface without any crossing lines). Simply add more loop currents and use Kirchhoff's laws to solve for the unknown values. However, as the number of resistors increases, the equations become more complex and may require the use of computer programs to solve.