Determine which functions are rational

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of rational functions based on the value of x. The participants agree that only (i) and (iii) can be considered as rational functions, while (ii) and (iv) do not fit the definition as they cannot be transformed into a fraction of polynomials. The use of the term "polynomial" is mentioned as a defining factor for rational functions.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
consider the attached problem
Relevant Equations
rational functions
1628756836435.png

Ok in my thinking, i would say that it depends on ##x##, if ##x## belongs to the integer class, then the rational functions would be ##i ## and ##iii##...but from my reading of rational functions, i came up with this finding:

1628757186237.png

I would appreciate your input on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well according to the above definition only (i) and (iii) are rational functions.

(ii) or (iv) doesn't look like they are a fraction of polynomials neither I can find a way to transform them to a fraction of two polynomials. For example if we multiply both the numerator and denominator of (iv) by ##\sqrt{x-1}## we get $$\frac{x-1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}$$ the numerator has become polynomial, but the denominator still isn't polynomial.

Likes chwala and sysprog
Delta2 said:
Well according to the above definition only (i) and (iii) are rational functions.

(ii) or (iv) doesn't look like they are a fraction of polynomials neither I can find a way to transform them to a fraction of two polynomials. For example if we multiply both the numerator and denominator of (iv) by ##\sqrt{x-1}## we get $$\frac{x-1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}$$ the numerator has become polynomial, but the denominator still isn't polynomial.
thanks, i guess i missed the term "polynomial" cheers mate:cool:

Likes Delta2

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator is not equal to zero. In other words, it is a function that can be expressed as f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials.

2. How do you determine if a function is rational?

To determine if a function is rational, you need to check if it can be written in the form of f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials. If the function can be written in this form and the denominator is not equal to zero, then it is a rational function.

3. What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all the values of x for which the function is defined. In other words, it is all the values of x that do not make the denominator of the function equal to zero. This is because dividing by zero is undefined in mathematics.

4. How do you simplify a rational function?

To simplify a rational function, you need to factor both the numerator and denominator and then cancel out any common factors. This will result in a simplified form of the function. It is important to note that you should not cancel out any factors that make the denominator equal to zero.

5. Can a rational function have an asymptote?

Yes, a rational function can have an asymptote. An asymptote is a line that the graph of a function approaches but never touches. A rational function can have vertical, horizontal, or oblique asymptotes, depending on the behavior of the function near the edges of its domain.