Determining a parameter so that it's a removable singularity

In summary: This will simplify the denominator and make the limit exist. I should get rid of ##(x-2)## by having another ##(x-2)## on the numerator, right? This will simplify the denominator and make the limit exist.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Determine ##a## so that ##f(x)=\frac{ax^2-16}{x^2-6x+8}## has a removable singularity for ##x=2##
Relevant Equations
none
So, for this exercise I'm considering the removable singularity for ##x=2## to cause ##f(2)## to be different from ##\lim_{x \to 2}f(x)##.
But as soon as I write everything down, I get stuck here: ##\lim_{x \to 2}f(x)\neq\frac{4(a-4)}{0}##
How do I calculate ##a##?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{ax^2-16}{(x-4)(x-2)}=\frac{...?}{x-4}[/tex]

Last edited:
greg_rack said:
So, for this exercise I'm considering the removable singularity for ##x=2## to cause ##f(2)## to be different from ##\lim_{x \to 2}f(x)##.

This isn't what you want. You need the limit to exist. Then, you can remove the singuality by defining ##f(2)## to be the value of the limit.

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\frac{ax^2-16}{(x-4)(x-2)}=\frac{...?}{x-4}[/tex]
Mmm, I didn't get that... Have you factored the numerator to simplify that ##(x-2)## at the denominator? If yes, why? And how, since there is an ##'a'##?

PeroK said:
This isn't what you want. You need the limit to exist. Then, you can remove the singuality by defining ##f(2)## to be the value of the limit.
Wait... I do need a singularity, a so-called "removable" one. If ##f(2)=\lim_{x \to 2}f(x)##, the function would be continuous in 2, and that's not what I want. Correct?

EDIT, from Wikipedia: In analysis, a removable singularity of a function is a point at which the function is undefined.

greg_rack said:
Wait... I do need a singularity, a so-called "removable" one. If ##f(2)=\lim_{x \to 2}f(x)##, the function would be continuous in 2, and that's not what I want. Correct?
That is what you want. A removable singularity means the limit exists and allows you to create a continuous function.

Note that whether the ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} f(x)## exists does not depend on ##f(2)##.

Whatever you do ##f(2)## cannot be defined by evaluating the given expression. That will always have ##0## on the denominator, hence be undefined.

PeroK said:
That is what you want. A removable singularity means the limit exists and allows you to create a continuous function.

Note that whether the ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} f(x)## exists does not depend on ##f(2)##.
And so how do I establish ##a##? Which conditions should I use

greg_rack said:
And so how do I establish ##a##? Which conditions should I use
The limit must exist. The answer is screaming at you from your original post!

greg_rack said:
If yes, why? And how, since there is an ′a′?
Because if (x-2) disappears from denominator you do not have to worry about singularity at x=2.
Find a good value of 'a' so that you can do it.

Likes greg_rack
PeroK said:
The limit must exist. The answer is screaming at you from your original post!
God, I'm feeling so dumb!😂
The limit should therefore exist, independently from what the value of ##f(2)## is, so as @anuttarasammyak said I should find the value of ##a## for which ##\frac{ax^2-16}{(x-4)(x-2)}## exists(?)

greg_rack said:
The limit should therefore exist, independently from what the value of ##f(2)## is, so as @anuttarasammyak said I should find the value of ##a## for which ##\frac{ax^2-16}{(x-4)(x-2)}## exists(?)
Yes, you need that limit to exist as ##x \rightarrow 2##.

PeroK said:
Yes, you need that limit to exist as ##x \rightarrow 2##.
Ok then, and what about ##f(2)##? My textbook says it should not exist or at least be different from the value of the limit.

greg_rack said:
Ok then, and what about ##f(2)##? My textbook says it should not exist or at least be different from the value of the limit.
##f(2)## is undefined if all you have is that formula for ##f(x)##:
$$f(2) = \frac{4a - 16}{0}$$
Which is undefined, no matter what ##a## is. The function you have been given is not defined at ##x =2## or ##x =4##. If we take ##a = 0##, then ##f(x) = \frac{-16}{(x-2)(x-4)}##.

That has non-removable singularities at ##x = 2## and ##x = 4##. This is because the function blows up around ##x = 2## and ##x = 4##. Note that it's the behaviour of the function close to these points that is important.

You need to find some ##a## which makes the function well behaved close to ##x = 2##.

• Informative
Likes greg_rack
PeroK said:
You need to find some a which makes the function well behaved close to x=2.
I'm finally getting there! Last easy and merely algebraical question: how do I determine ##a## so that the factor which gives indetermination(##(x-2)##) in $$\frac{ax^2-16}{(x-2)(x-4)}$$ can be simplified?

greg_rack said:
I'm finally getting there! Last easy and merely algebraical question: how do I determine ##a## so that the factor which gives indetermination(##(x-2)##) in $$\frac{ax^2-16}{(x-2)(x-4)}$$ can be simplified?
What would you like to get rid of from the denominator? What do you need on the numerator?

PeroK said:
What would you like to get rid of from the denominator? What do you need on the numerator?
I should get rid of ##(x-2)## by having another ##(x-2)## on the numerator, right?

Likes PeroK

1. What is a removable singularity?

A removable singularity is a point in a function where the function is undefined, but can be made continuous by assigning a value to that point.

2. How do you determine a parameter so that it's a removable singularity?

To determine a parameter for a removable singularity, you must first identify the point where the function is undefined. Then, you can manipulate the function by multiplying or dividing by the parameter until the function becomes continuous at that point.

3. Why is it important to identify and remove singularities?

Singularities can cause problems in mathematical calculations and can lead to incorrect results. By identifying and removing singularities, we can ensure the accuracy of our calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to determining a parameter for a removable singularity?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the function. Some functions may not have a removable singularity, while others may require complex manipulations to determine the parameter.

5. Can a removable singularity be removed in all cases?

No, there are certain cases where a removable singularity cannot be removed. For example, if the function has an essential singularity or a pole, it cannot be made continuous at that point.