Determining Acceleration of Hinge in a Beam and Hinge Structure

In summary, the problem involves a force being applied to the right hinge of a structure, with equal masses and lengths on both sides. The initial angle is also 90 degrees (a square). The goal is to find the initial acceleration of the leftmost hinge. The suggested approach is to use coordinate systems and differentiation to analyze the forces on the left and right members separately.
Carbon123

Homework Statement

The following structure,A force F is applied to the right hinge.If the mass of the rods are equal ,and the length of the rod is equal,the intial angle is also equal to 90 degrees (a square),What is the intial acceleration of leftmost hinge ?

Homework Equations

Coordinate systems ,differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite confused of where to start this problem.I think that stating the coordinates of the hinges,and then differentiating it to find the relation of acceleration.However, I keep getting that the acceleration is the same.Can someone please advise me some idea where to start ,and what principles are at work here.I have not got any idea (due to being inexperienced with problems with hinges like this).Thanks in Advance !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170810-232304.png
    Screenshot_20170810-232304.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Carbon123 said:
However, I keep getting that the acceleration is the same.
Please post your working (as required by forum rules).
Have you analysed the forces on one of the left hand members and one of the right hand members as separate rigid bodies?

1. What is the difference between a beam and a hinge?

A beam is a structural element that is designed to resist bending forces and support loads, while a hinge is a type of joint that allows for rotation or movement between two connected parts.

2. How are beams and hinges used in construction?

Beams and hinges are commonly used in construction to create stable and strong structures. Beams are often used to support the weight of floors, roofs, and walls, while hinges can be used in doors, windows, and other movable parts.

3. What types of forces can beams and hinges withstand?

Beams are designed to withstand bending forces, which occur when a load is applied perpendicular to the beam's length. Hinges are designed to withstand rotational forces, which occur when a load is applied to the connected parts in a way that causes them to rotate.

4. How are beams and hinges designed and tested?

Beams and hinges are designed using mathematical equations and computer simulations, taking into account factors such as the material properties and the expected load. They are then tested in a controlled environment to ensure they can withstand the expected forces.

5. Can beams and hinges fail?

Yes, beams and hinges can fail if they are not designed or installed correctly, or if they are subjected to forces beyond their capacity. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent failures and ensure the safety and stability of structures.