Determining an unknown Hydrocarbon X

• Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrocarbon
In summary: The molecular weight is 56-58. The number doesn't really discriminate between double and triple bonds, but I would say that it would require a double bond.
miniradman

Homework Statement

A gaseous hydrocarbon X had an approximate molecular weight of 57. It reacted with both bromine and dilute permanganate solutions. Give the structural formula of the only 3 compounds consistent with this information.
X was treated with hydrogen bromide, and the resulting liquid was then boiled with with alcoholic sodium hydroxide solution. Only one compound was formed. Deduce the structure of X, giving your reasoning.

2. The attempt at a solution
Hello all.

I'm having trouble finding a single structure which satisfies all the criteria.

The first pieces of data I'm given is that the molecular weight is a butene of some description (has a MW of 58 and reacts with permanganate and bromine). So hence my three possible structures would be; 1-butene, 2-butene and 2-methylprop-1-ene.

However, I'm finding it hard to distinguish these three with the next pieces of information we're given. I think that with the given processes involved, the result will be an alcohol of some description, however I cannot think of a mechanism which will break the double bond of the product.

I'm assuming, where it says, one product is formed is the key here which I'm guessing means there are no major and minor products involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
57 is not 58.

miniradman said:
The first pieces of data I'm given is that the molecular weight is a butene of some description (has a MW of 58 and reacts with permanganate and bromine).
I think you made a typo in the molecular weight.

miniradman said:
However, I'm finding it hard to distinguish these three with the next pieces of information we're given. I think that with the given processes involved, the result will be an alcohol of some description, however I cannot think of a mechanism which will break the double bond of the product.
Check out http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/reaction-guide/addition-of-hbr-to-alkenes/

miniradman said:
I'm assuming, where it says, one product is formed is the key here which I'm guessing means there are no major and minor products involved.
Exactly. The reactions shoud result in a single product with no other possibility.

Whoops, sorry the MW would be 56. I know that 56 does not equal 57, however I cannot think of a hydrocarbon with a MW of exactly 57.

Sorry, missed the error, what I meant was that you should look for a hydrocarbon with exactly given molar mass.

Do you know what degree of unsaturation is? Do you know what it tells about the molecule? Does it require a double or triple bond?

Borek said:
Sorry, missed the error, what I meant was that you should look for a hydrocarbon with exactly given molar mass.
But the statement of the problem says "approximate molecular weight of 57." Personally, I would take that to be in the range 56 to 58.

C4H8 is 56.11, I took "approximate" to mean "ignore the part after the decimal point".

Borek said:
I took "approximate" to mean "ignore the part after the decimal point".
I guess I'm sloppier than you are :tongue2:

1. What is the process for determining the molecular formula of an unknown hydrocarbon X?

The process for determining the molecular formula of an unknown hydrocarbon X involves several steps. First, the molecular weight of the compound is determined using mass spectrometry. Next, the compound is subjected to elemental analysis to determine the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms present. Finally, the molecular formula is determined by using the molecular weight and the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms.

2. How can you identify the functional groups present in an unknown hydrocarbon X?

The functional groups present in an unknown hydrocarbon X can be identified by using spectroscopic techniques such as infrared (IR) spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These techniques provide information about the types of bonds present in the compound, which can help identify the functional groups.

3. What is the significance of boiling point and melting point in determining the identity of an unknown hydrocarbon X?

The boiling point and melting point of an unknown hydrocarbon X can provide valuable clues about its identity. These physical properties are determined by the intermolecular forces present in the compound, which are in turn influenced by the size and structure of the molecule. By comparing the boiling point and melting point of the unknown compound to known hydrocarbons, its identity can be determined.

4. How can gas chromatography (GC) be used to determine the structure of an unknown hydrocarbon X?

Gas chromatography (GC) is a technique commonly used to separate and analyze the components of a mixture. In the case of an unknown hydrocarbon X, GC can be used to separate the compound into its individual components, allowing for the determination of its structure. The retention time of the compound can also be compared to known standards to help identify the structure.

5. What are some common techniques used to determine the physical and chemical properties of an unknown hydrocarbon X?

Some common techniques used to determine the physical and chemical properties of an unknown hydrocarbon X include mass spectrometry, infrared (IR) spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, gas chromatography (GC), and elemental analysis. These techniques provide valuable information about the molecular weight, functional groups, and structure of the compound, as well as its boiling point, melting point, and other physical properties.