Determining Buffer Systems: NH3/NH4NO3

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining whether certain solutions were buffer systems or not. The first solution, KH2PO4/H3PO4, was determined to be a buffer system because H3PO4 is a weak acid and H2PO4- is its conjugate base. The second solution, NaClO4/HClO4, was determined to not be a buffer system because HClO4 is a strong acid. The third solution, NH3/NH4NO3, was determined to be a buffer system as the pKb for ammonia is 4.75 and the pKa for NH4NO3 is 9.25, indicating that it can act as a buffer solution. The conversation also
eku_girl83
Here's my question:

State whether each of the following solutions is a buffer system or not.

a) KH2PO4/H3PO4
H3PO4 is a weak acid
H2PO4- is the conjugate base derived from the salt
thus, this is a buffer system

b) NaClO4/HClO4
not a buffer system b/c HClO4 is a strong acid

c) NH3/NH4N03
not really sure about this one?
NH3 is the base and NH4NO3 is the acid, i suppose
but I'm not sure how to determine the relative strength/weakness of these.

Could someone tell me whether these are correct or not? And please help me with part c?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
a, b OK.

c - it is a buffer. pKb for ammonia is 4.75 IIRC so the pKa is 9.25 - for the reaction

NH4+ <-> NH3 + H+

Last edited by a moderator:
eku_girl83 said:
NH3 is the base and NH4NO3 is the acid, i suppose
NH4NO3, by itself, is a salt and NH3 (or NH4OH) is the conjugate base derived from it.

Edit : Oops ! Didn't see Borek's post. Nevermind.

NH4N03 is weakly acidic and partially dissociates because NH4 itself is a weak electrolyte, remembering that NH3 is a weak base. Therefor [c] is also a buffer system.

You need to use the Henderson Hasselbalch equation to find the pH of a buffer solution. There are two similar forms of the equation for acidic and basic buffers. Thats how you can determine the strength (if you call it so) of a particular solution.

If you have an acid and its conjugate base, the buffer solution is called an acidic buffer. If you have a base and its conjugate acid, the buffer solution is called a basic buffer. As a base and its conjugate acid bear conjugate relationship, this is not really a great way to say it. However, buffers like ammonia/ammonium salt (nitrate, chloride etc) are basic buffers as ammonia for all practical purposes is an extremely weak acid and a strong base.

Cheers
Vivek

Related to Determining Buffer Systems: NH3/NH4NO3

1. What is a buffer system?

A buffer system is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It consists of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How do you determine the buffer system for NH3/NH4NO3?

To determine the buffer system for NH3/NH4NO3, you need to identify the weak acid and its conjugate base. In this case, NH3 is the weak base and NH4NO3 is the conjugate acid. This makes NH3/NH4NO3 a buffer system.

3. What is the pH range of the NH3/NH4NO3 buffer system?

The pH range of the NH3/NH4NO3 buffer system is between 9.25 and 10.75. This range is determined by the pKa of NH3, which is 9.25.

4. How does the concentration of NH3 and NH4NO3 affect the buffer capacity?

The buffer capacity of the NH3/NH4NO3 system is directly proportional to the concentration of the weak base (NH3) and its conjugate acid (NH4NO3). A higher concentration of these components will result in a higher buffer capacity, meaning the solution can resist larger changes in pH.

5. Can the NH3/NH4NO3 buffer system be used in biological systems?

Yes, the NH3/NH4NO3 buffer system can be used in biological systems. It is commonly found in the human body, where it helps maintain a stable pH in bodily fluids such as blood and urine.