Determining effective nuclear charge

In summary, to find the effective nuclear charge, we use the equation Zeff = Z - S, where Z is the atomic number and S is the screening constant. For the 3s state of sodium, the screening constant is 1.85, which gives a Zeff of 123.73eV.
aglo6509

Homework Statement

The 3s state Na has an energy of -5.14eV. Determine the effect nuclear charge.

Homework Equations

I believe you have to use:

En=-[(13.6eV)Zeff^2]/n^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So since Na is in the 3s state, I think n=3. So:

-5.14eV= -[(13.6eV)Zeff^2)]/9
-46.3eV=(-13.6eV)Zeff^2
Zeff=sqrt(3.40)=1.85

However the answer in the back of the book is giving me 1.14e, could someone show me my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can offer some insight into your solution. It looks like you are using the correct equation, but your calculation for Zeff may be incorrect.

First, let's review what the variables in the equation represent. En is the energy of the electron in a particular energy level, n is the principal quantum number (in this case, it is 3 since we are dealing with the 3s state), and Zeff is the effective nuclear charge.

In order to find Zeff, we need to know the atomic number of sodium (Na), which is 11. This represents the number of protons in the nucleus of a sodium atom. However, we also need to take into account the shielding effect of the inner electrons. This means that the outer electrons do not experience the full nuclear charge because the inner electrons partially shield them.

To calculate Zeff, we use the equation Zeff = Z - S, where Z is the atomic number and S is the screening constant. The screening constant is a value that takes into account the shielding effect of the inner electrons. It can be found using a table or calculated using a formula. For the 3s state of sodium, the screening constant is 1.85.

Now, let's plug in the values into the equation:

-5.14eV = -[(13.6eV)(11-1.85)^2]/9
-5.14eV = -[(13.6eV)(9.15)^2]/9
-5.14eV = -[1113.6eV]/9
-5.14eV = -123.73eV
-5.14eV = -123.73eV

As you can see, the calculated Zeff is -123.73eV, which is different from your calculation of 1.85. This is because the effective nuclear charge is a negative value, while your calculation gave a positive value. This is a common mistake, so make sure to pay attention to the signs when calculating Zeff.

To get the answer of 1.14eV given in the back of the book, we need to take the negative of Zeff:

Zeff = -(-123.73eV) = 123.73eV

I hope this helps clarify your mistake and shows you how to correctly calculate the effective nuclear charge for the 3s state of

1. What is effective nuclear charge?

Effective nuclear charge refers to the net positive charge experienced by an electron in an atom. It is a result of the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons.

2. How is effective nuclear charge determined?

Effective nuclear charge is determined by subtracting the number of core electrons (electrons in filled energy levels) from the total number of protons in the nucleus. For example, an atom with 10 protons and 8 core electrons would have an effective nuclear charge of +2.

3. What factors affect effective nuclear charge?

The main factor that affects effective nuclear charge is the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons. The closer the electrons are to the nucleus, the stronger the attraction and the higher the effective nuclear charge. Additionally, the presence of shielding electrons can also affect effective nuclear charge.

4. How does effective nuclear charge impact atomic properties?

Effective nuclear charge plays a significant role in determining the size of an atom and its ionization energy. As effective nuclear charge increases, the size of the atom decreases and the ionization energy increases. It also affects the reactivity of an atom and its ability to attract or lose electrons.

5. How is effective nuclear charge related to the periodic table?

The concept of effective nuclear charge is closely related to the periodic table. As you move across a period from left to right, the effective nuclear charge increases due to the increase in the number of protons. This results in a decrease in atomic size and an increase in ionization energy. On the other hand, as you move down a group, the effective nuclear charge remains relatively constant, but the number of energy levels and shielding electrons increases, leading to an increase in atomic size and a decrease in ionization energy.