Effective Nuclear Charge for Sodium Atom

In summary, the 3s state of Na has an energy of -5.14 eV and the effective nuclear charge can be determined using the equation Zeff = Z - s, where Z is the atomic number and s is the number of shells in inner orbits. The textbook does not provide much detail, but one way to calculate the effective nuclear charge is to use the equation for energy state and incorporate it into the calculation. This can be done by following the steps outlined in the provided resource.
James Brady

Homework Statement

The 3s state Na has an energy of -5.14 eV. Determine the effective nuclear charge.

Homework Equations

##Z_{eff} = Z - s## Where Z is the atomic number and s is the number of shells in inner orbits.

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook doesn't go into much more detail than this. All I have is ##Z_{eff} = 11 - 10 = 1e## The correct answer is 1.14e. How do I incorporate energy into my calculations. I understand that that a higher negative energy would imply a higher effective charge because of the greater attraction, but analytically, I do not know how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:
The textbook doesn't go into much more detail than this. All I have is Zeff=11−10=1eZeff=11−10=1eZ_{eff} = 11 - 10 = 1e The correct answer is 1.14e.

there are some ways to calculate it-
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Screening-Constant-and-Effective-Nuclear-Charge
James Brady said:
How do I incorporate energy into my calculations.

write down the equation for energy state and use it to calculate zeffective

What is meant by "effective nuclear charge" for a sodium atom?

Effective nuclear charge refers to the net positive charge that is experienced by an electron in an atom. It takes into account both the actual nuclear charge and the shielding effect of inner electrons.

How is the effective nuclear charge calculated for a sodium atom?

The effective nuclear charge for a sodium atom can be calculated by subtracting the number of inner electrons (those in filled energy levels) from the actual nuclear charge of 11.

Why is the effective nuclear charge important for understanding the properties of a sodium atom?

The effective nuclear charge determines the attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electron in an atom. This affects the size of the atom, its ionization energy, and its reactivity with other atoms.

How does the effective nuclear charge change as you move across a period in the periodic table?

The effective nuclear charge increases as you move across a period because the number of protons increases, but the number of inner electrons stays the same. This results in a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electron.

How does the effective nuclear charge change as you move down a group in the periodic table?

The effective nuclear charge remains relatively constant as you move down a group because although the number of protons increases, the number of inner electrons also increases, balancing out the effect on the outermost electron.